Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing rules

Hi everybody!

I have a suggestion to improve everydays dealing with this realy great product:
    A very usefull feature was the introduction of converting-rules. I often compare files, that must be converted through a certain program, but they have the extension '.DAT'. Many other filetypes have this extension too, but the converter fails, unless it is the correct type of file.

This is how i helped me out of this mess:
    When I know that I want to compare DAT files, which must not be converted, I started BC without any parameters and changed the matching extension from '*.DAT' to '-.DAT'. Now I left BC in order to reinvoke it from the Explorer context-menu. After that i rechanged '-.DAT' to '*.DAT'.

This works, but is rather complicated. My suggestion is to add checkboxes to the list of rules at the options. This would ease the handling of filetypes.

Take a look at this photo-montage ;-)

Possible?

Bye Christoph

Re: Managing rules

BC uses the first rule that it encounters that matches the file extension, so the easiest way to turn a rule off or on is to move it below the Everything *.* association. That way Everything *.* will catch it and the *.dat association will not be used.

Another option is to have the rule call a script that conditionally converts the file or passes it through unchanged based on contents or some other attribute.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X