Backup Folder observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Folder observations

My File Backups settings are set to backup before copy & save, and to put the files in a local folder.

Two comments:
    1. I've noticed a considerable delay (15-30 sec) when it trieds to delete a file from that folder before copying a new one. I haven't noticed any more detail on this yet, but i don't ever have files in the backup folder open, so it's nothing like that.

2. It would be VERY nice if there was an option to retain multiple backups with the same filename (i.e. number them, or something). It's not very useful if you happen to upload a file with the same name (say index.php) to multiple sites - you only get a backup of the last one
    Some suggestions might be to put them in folder structure by session? (this would be excellent) or even by date of upload.

Thanks for a great product!

Re: Backup Folder observations

1. I've noticed a considerable delay (15-30 sec) when it trieds to delete a file from that folder before copying a new one. I haven't noticed any more detail on this yet, but i don't ever have files in the backup folder open, so it's nothing like that.
    If you're copying over files that already exist in the target folder and in the backup folder, I would expect it to take twice as long as without the backup option being used because BC has to copy files twice, once to the backup folder and once to the target folder. Is it just hanging without disk activity during the delete or just taking longer?

2. It would be VERY nice if there was an option to retain multiple backups with the same filename (i.e. number them, or something). It's not very useful if you happen to upload a file with the same name (say index.php) to multiple sites - you only get a backup of the last one
    Some suggestions might be to put them in folder structure by session? (this would be excellent) or even by date of upload.
    Multiple backups of the same file with seqeuential numbers in the name is on the wish list. Making the backup settings on a per-session basis is also on the wish list.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

If you're copying over files that already exist in the target folder and in the backup folder, I would expect it to take twice as long as without the backup option being used because BC has to copy files twice, once to the backup folder and once to the target folder. Is it just hanging without disk activity during the delete or just taking longer?

I would expect twice as long, but it's taking MUCH longer (20x). It just hangs there with the progress window up saying that it's deleting the file.
      Multiple backups of the same file with seqeuential numbers in the name is on the wish list. Making the backup settings on a per-session basis is also on the wish list.
      I'm thinking that the optimal design (for me) would be an option to mimic the folder structure of the session in the backup folder (so if it's \xxx\yyy\zz.ext in session sss, put it in "Backup Folder\sss\xxx\yyy\zz.ext") as well as the numbering.
      That would make us VERY happy

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion about backup subfolders based on session name. I added it to our wish list entry for backups.

Do you get the same backup hang if you use one of the other options to store the backup in the same folder as the original with a name change like abc.txt~?

Are you running more than one instance of BC at a time?
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion about backup subfolders based on session name. I added it to our wish list entry for backups.

Do you get the same backup hang if you use one of the other options to store the backup in the same folder as the original with a name change like abc.txt~?

Are you running more than one instance of BC at a time?
          No delay or problems with the other options (like abc.txt~)
          only running one instance of BC (v2.2.5)

Comment

I'm really not sure what would be causing a delay.

Does it make a difference if you change the location of the backup folder?

Are you running the latest version of BC (2.2.5)?

Are backup, target, and source folders all on local drives?
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I'm really not sure what would be causing a delay.

Does it make a difference if you change the location of the backup folder?

Are you running the latest version of BC (2.2.5)?

Are backup, target, and source folders all on local drives?
              Moving the folder doesn't make a difference

I am running v2.2.5

Backup and Source are on local machine, Target is ftp

NEW INFO
              After further investigation, i think that BC is somehow caching the directory listing of the backup folder.

You may be able to re-produce this part of it:
              1. Set the backup folder to a new dir
              2. copy a file from source to target (over a destination file, so it makes a backup)
              3. delete the backup file
              4. recopy the same file from source to target.
              When I do that, i get repeated errors saying "Cannot create backup file. Copy anyway?"
              Responding "yes" or "retry" just repeats the error

Does that help?

Comment

I think this is because BC keeps the listing of files in the backup folder in memory for the current version. You can clear it out by doing a full refresh (Ctrl-F5).

Does it help with the backup delay if you do a full refresh before making a copy?
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I think this is because BC keeps the listing of files in the backup folder in memory for the current version. You can clear it out by doing a full refresh (Ctrl-F5).

Does it help with the backup delay if you do a full refresh before making a copy?
                  Hmmm, the first time i tried it, it still did the delay. Then when I tried to reproduce it again, it was fine. I definitely got it to give the long delay after a full refresh, but now i can't get it to do it again.

So i'd say the answer is probably "yes"

Comment

It may be moving the file that is deleted from the backup folder to the recycle bin if you have that selected. BC reads the recycle bin option globally. To set it, pick a random file to delete and then uncheck "Use recycle bin if possible".

This should make the backup command avoid using the recycle bin. Please let us know if that speeds things up.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

It may be moving the file that is deleted from the backup folder to the recycle bin if you have that selected. BC reads the recycle bin option globally. To set it, pick a random file to delete and then uncheck "Use recycle bin if possible".

This should make the backup command avoid using the recycle bin. Please let us know if that speeds things up.
                      That seemed to do the trick!
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X