Copy Fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy Fails

A number of copy and move operations have not completed successfully for me. .HTM files tend to be the most common culprit and I get a message stating:
    <font color="red"> Error copying [ abc xyz ].htm: The system cannot find the file specified </font>
    I get the same message when I try to use BC to rename the files.

How do I get .HTM files to behave like any other files that I need to copy/move? Strangely files ending in .HTML seem to be trouble free.

I'm new at BC but becoming totally reliant on it everyday.

Re: Copy Fails

Are you moving the files between a local disk and an ftp server, or does the problem show up moving files between locations on a local disk?

If you're moving the files to a Unix server, it could be having problems with case sensitive file names. Try selecting Session|Comparison Control and checking "Case sensitive filenames" in the Advanced tab.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

The files in question are being moved from one Windows network volume to another. No FTP involved, no Unix.

I tried turning on and off "Case Sensitive Filenames" but I still got the error whichever way it was set.

Comment

Does the same operation work in windows explorer?

This might be a problem with the linking between .htm files and similarly named directories.

If you save something as a web page, complete in IE or MS office, it will create an htm file and link it to a folder. In Explorer, if you move or delete the file, it will do the same to the corresponding folder.

The convention is a file named foo.htm and a folder named foo_files will be linked to each other.

It might help to disable this behavior. You can find a description of the linking and instructions for disabling it in the Microsoft Knowledge base at:
        http://support.microsoft.com:80/supp.../q252/7/21.asp
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X