BC for linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC for linux

Many months ago I did read on your web site that you plan to make a linux version of BC. Presently I could not find any mention of this anymore. Is this project dead or still planed ?
    Using BC daily since many years and progressively migrating to linux, I would highly appreciate to have such a nice tool under linux too.
    Thanks, Tim

Re: BC for linux

A Linux port of BC is still planned. We're focusing most of our efforts on the next release for Windows right now, but we are still working on a Linux port.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

If it helps, BC works fine under Linux using WINE emulator. I use it quite often, as like you said, compare utilities generally suck badly under Linux.

Comment

Hi

Just another person interested in your Linux version. I'll buy a copy when you have it available.

Thanks
        tl

Comment

Another vote for a linux version. I bet I could get the folks in my very large engineering organization to go for a linux site license. We're stuck in the dark ages of diff, and we're a company you've definitely heard of...

Comment

Thanks for the vote. Our Linux porting efforts are still under way, but it will be a little while before we'll be ready release anything.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Another vote for Linux version. Please ...

Comment

Kudos to Scooter Software team. BC is amazing product. Lifesaver.

I see that you don't plan to have a Linux port for upcoming release 3.x. That port is needed in a Linux community - as you know, so much serious software development happen on the platform.

Would it be possible for you to hire an outsider contractor, who would do this port in parallel with other v3.x work? You could have him do that for a fixed price deal. IHO, you need to have Linux port as soon as possible.

I am sure you would be able to find a few Linux gurus who would be able to make that contribution with reasonable price.

BC on Linux - what a nice goal.

Comment

We do plan to have a Linux port in the future. One of our developers is doing some work on a Linux port, but we have limited development resources, and right now our main efforts are focused on version 3 for Windows.

The port is also proving challenging because BC is written in Delphi. The options for porting Delphi to Linux are Kylix or Freepascal/Lazarus, but neither one is mature enough to make porting a simple task.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Maybe you can try to optimize the use of Beyond Compare whith wine.

Comment

Working...
                    X