CTL M removal when copying windows to unix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTL M removal when copying windows to unix

BC does a great job of doing the correct compare between a Unix file and a Windows file. I would love to see a copy option that would remove CTL M's when copying from a Windows file system to a Unix file system.

Or am I missing something and it's already possible?
    -- Ed

Re: CTL M removal when copying windows to unix

If you copy from Windows to Unix using FTP and you set it to ascii mode transfer it will convert the files automatically.

By default BC should pick ascii or binary mode based on file extension, you can change the setting in the FTP section of Tools|Options.

You can also save a file using a different line terminator style using File|Save As from the File Viewer menu. The Save As dialog will allow you to select between "No Change", "Windows/DOS", "Unix", and "Macintosh" file formats.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

We have turned off FTP services in favor of SSH so FTP is not an option. I'm using Samba to map the Unix drive to the Windows work station where the compares are being done. That would be a nice enhancement?

Thanks for getting back to me.
      -- Ed

Comment

You can use FTP over SSH by redirecting BC's FTP support through a second program running locally. We have the process documented in our knowledgebase as Using Beyond Compare over SFTP.

Changing line endings during a plain network copy is on the todo list, but I can't say if/when we'll get to it.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X