Subversion Directory Comparisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subversion Directory Comparisions

I suspect the answer is "not currently", but is there any way to diff the .svn/text-base directory to the current directory, bearing in mind that subversion postfixes the files in the text-base directory with ".svn-base" or ".svn-base.gz" depending upon your settings. I know that Beyond Compare will not be able to process and subdirectories, as the subversion directory structure is not something I would expect beyond compare to have to understand, but it would be really nice if sourcecode.c.svn-base could be compare with the current sourcecode.c when diffing the two directories (it's a lot easier to track changes in projects / applications etc... if you can see which files have been changed and how without having to indiviudally diff each one with it's base.

If this is a planned future developement i.e. either filename matching rules, or a way of treating directories as special type of file (so a filter/plugin could be created to display directories however is required) which would be even more powerful, does anyone know when this is planned for?

Thanks for any help given.

Re: Subversion Directory Comparisions

This isn't possible in the current version of BC, but matching files based on masks for comparison, such as ignoring the .svn-base portion of the file name is on our wish list for a future release of Beyond Compare.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

If you're using TortoiseSVN and you've set your file comparision application to BC, you can right-click your folder -> "Check for modifications". tSVN will then put up a list of changed files, each with "Compare to Base" in the context menu.

I set tSVN's diff program to use:
      BC2.exe /readonly /title1=%bname /title2=%yname %base %mine

It's not a BC folder-comparsion session, but you can view each file's diffs in BC.

On a side note, it'd be nice to be able to overwrite the /readonly switch once I'm in the viewer. That way it's easier to migrate changes out of subversion's working base copy.

P.S. I'm a mac user at home, and I'm seriously considering purchasing Virtual PC just to run BC. Great product, guys !

Comment

It isn't possible to override the /readonly switch, but instead of using it, you can use the /leftreadonly or /rightreadonly to allow you to edit your copy while still keeping the Subversion copy readonly.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X