Selecting orphaned folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting orphaned folders

In a folder view, I can see orphaned files and folders/directories in the right pane. I know I can select the menu options "Edit" -> "Select Orphans" -> "Right Side" to select orphaned files, but is there anyway to select orphaned folders/directories?

Re: Selecting orphaned folders

In the dropdown menu on the toolbar, you can filter the display to show Only Orphans. This will show both orphaned files and folders. For more information about file and folder filters, see Beyond Compare's help:

The Folder Viewer | Understanding the Display | Filtering

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but what I am trying to do is to select orphaned files *and* folders on the right side.

I am currently using BC2 to archive data/personal files from my desktop to a USB stick. I setup a session for files/directories to include and exclude and can easily synchronize from left to right. At times, I have files/folders on the right side (USB stick) which have been deleted from the left (desktop) and appear as orphaned folders and files on the right.

I can select right side orphaned files using Edit -> Select Orphans -> Right Side and then hit the delete key, but that results in empty (or orphan) folders on the right side. I was looking to see if there was any way to select orphaned files and folders.

Using the method you described results in seeing orphaned folders and files, but also includes the parent folder(s) of these orphaned files/folders, so I can't easily delete orphans without examining the folder view to ensure I am not deleting a parent folder with live data.

Comment

Hello Ernie,

It looks like you will want to use the Mirror command.

From the help: Mirror makes the target folder identical to the source one. Newer, older, different, and orphaned files are all copied to the destination, and orphans in the destination are deleted.

To set up the mirror, go to Actions | Synchronize | Custom Synch and select Mirror Left to Right. In the Selection section of the dialog, check Create Empty Folders, and uncheck Just Selection and Only Affect Visible Files. Click Next to bring up the Synchronization Preview. If this looks ok, click Start, and your files should synch up the way you want.

Comment

Guess that could work. I'll have to experiment before I turn that loose on my real data/documents. Thanks for the response(s).

Comment

Working...
          X