Windows Error Code 5 on Installing Beyond Compare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Error Code 5 on Installing Beyond Compare

My HDD crashed and it has been replaced with a new one, all backups restored without any problem. (Windows XP)

I had a trial version of Beyond Compare installed and wished to install again, and then register it.

However, when I run the installer, beycomp_062808.exe, I get the Windows error message "Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted. Error 5: Access is denied"

I assume this is the Temporary Directory under "Documents and Settings/<user>/Local Settings/Temp" (?). However, I can see no errors in the Attributes and other files there seem to be OK.

Any ideas?

Re: Windows Error Code 5 on Installing Beyond Comp

This might be an issue with antivirus or antispyware software on your computer. It might prevent programs from executing from a temp directory. Try updating your virus definitions, or if that doesn't work, try turning off the antivirus software temporarily to see if that allows the install to run.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Re: Windows Error Code 5 on Installing Beyond Comp

(Oh the shame! )

I use ZoneAlarm Pro and this always asks me to confirm if new programs should be enabled to run. I must have missed this for BC!

Comment

Working...
      X