FTP List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP List

Is there any chance of supporting the -R option for ftp directory listings?

The -R does a recursive listing, and would significantly speed up reading the file/directory structure of a ftp site. One site I use has hundreds of subdirectories with only a couple of files in, and it takes BC ages...

Re: FTP List

Thanks for the suggestion! We won't be able to get to it right away, but I'll add it to the wishlist.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

Recursive directory listings are now supported in 2.2. On servers that support it it has a significant effect on the directory listing speed. It's pretty well optimized, and affects both the initial directory listings and listings after file operations. That does mean refreshes will be slower when you've only modified files in one directory though, so it should be especially well suited to the "Synchronize Folders" commands.

To enable it, just put "-R" in the List Options edit. I've successfully tested it with Serv-U and an unnamed Linux ftp daemon. Another FTP server didn't return any results though, so it's definitely not universal.

I don't know how universal the listing format is either, so if anyone has a sample that BC can't handle I'd be interested in seeing it ([email protected]). If it isn't handled correctly everything will show up in the base folder.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Woohoo. Thats great, and it *really* speeds the comparison up for me (btw, I was the original anonymous requester).

One problem though, as mentioned its not universal for all ftp servers. The problem is that the setting (-R) *is* a global setting. Is there any chance of getting this setting moved from global options into the session options?

It might be good to move some of the other ftp options at the same time? Filename conversion, link resolution, etc are generally dependant on server rather than a global setting for everything?

Thanks for your great work in the new version.

Comment

Per-session ftp settings is on the wishlist.
            I'm glad to hear the -R setting is working well for you.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I just want to add my thanks for the new -R FTP option. The speed improvement is awesome!!!!!!

Thanks!

p.s. I'm going against a Serv-U server.

Comment

Hi Craig,

since I've installed build 221 BC lists subdirectories twice on a certain FTP site. The first instance is normal, the second has a / prefix. Example:
                subdir1
                /subdir1
                index.html
                I maintain homepages at two different service providers. The homepage hosted by Strato does show the twin-direcories. The homepage hosted by T-Online behaves as expected.

Strato answers the 'SYST'-request with '215 UNIX Type: L8'. I'm not sure if that's of any help.

Why am I writing this as an answer in the '-R'-thread? Well I've tried the '-R'-option and the twin-directories are gone.

Best Wishes
                Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

Can you use Window's command line ftp.exe? It sounds like the Strato listing is including extra lines that BC isn't expecting, and I'd need a copy of the directory listing to track this down.

If you can use ftp.exe, just log in using it, and use the LIST command to get the directory listing, then post it here so I can take a look. If not, email support and I'll send you a copy of BC that will save the information I need to a text file.
                  Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Here ist comes - unfortunately, ftp.exe does not support the LIST command. The output of DIR seems to be the same though:
                    ----------

ftp> list
                    Ungültiger Befehl
                    ftp> dir
                    200 PORT command successful.
                    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.
                    drwxr-x--- 3 ftp ftp 4096 Feb 22 12:52 ..
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp ftp 4096 Dec 6 2002 021102-fk

[Edit by Craig: Remaining lines snipped for brevity]

226 Transfer complete. Closing data connection.
                    FTP: 6759 Bytes empfangen in 0.23Sekunden 29.26KB/s
                    ftp>

----------
                    Best Wishes
                    Martin

Comment

In case anyone else runs into this:

We added support for the MLSD command in v2.2, which is an alternative directory listing command that includes more information (eg, complete timestamps). BC automatically uses MLSD if it's supported by the FTP server, unless there's something in the "List Options" edit in the options dialog.

In this particular case, the server's MLSD response is incorrect, and other FTP clients that use it will show the same behavior. We'll have a workaround for it in the next release. You may be able to work around it in the current release by putting "-a" in the List Options edit. If that doesn't work email support and we can send you a fix that'll work until we get the official release out.
                      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                      X