Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can I have multiple versions of BC (v2 with v3/v4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I have multiple versions of BC (v2 with v3/v4)

I have version 2, and it works quite well. I am considering getting either v3 or v4 and would like to keep v2 installed. Given such things as the right-click menu, is it possible to use both at the same time. I don't want to lose my v2 setup.

Since this is BC2, I'm assuming Windows, where the answer is "Yes" with a little configuration. By default, BC2,3,4 all install to separate directories and have separate settings locations, so they install side by side easily.

As a precaution, you can back up existing BC2 settings from the Tools menu, if you haven't done that recently.

The only conflict is the shell extension between BC3 and BC4, where you can only have one enabled at a time (toggle each in each program's Tools menu -> Options dialog; Startup tab, then restart Windows, to make that version enabled/disabled). This doesn't actually apply to BC2, and it's shell extension is independent, though it can be confusing to have both sets enabled simultaneously. I'll also add that BC4 has many drag/drop targets in the interface, if you want to enable only BC2's shell extension, and drag/drop items from Explorer onto BC4's open windows instead.

You can install the trial of BC4 without removing or altering BC2. I'd recommend the jump up to BC4; most of the learning curve and growing pains from BC2 to BC4 are present in BC3 as well. Starting with BC3, "Rules" have been split into File Formats (defining the Grammar element) and Importance (a Per Session Setting to say if a Grammar is Important or Unimportant). Kind of like Strings and Unimportant in BC2, but general grammar elements can be defined as either Important or Unimportant on a session by session basis, have a global default, and allow custom color options.
    https://www.scootersoftware.com/supp..._unimportantv3

Since every view can be a Session now (Directory Viewer = Folder Compare, File Viewer => Text Compare session), the Session menu is context specific to which view you are currently looking at, and the Session menu -> Session Settings will show different options depending on which viewer you are in. Once configured, save that view as a Session, which you can reload on the Home screen.

Sadly, we used to have some handy BC2 to BC3 learner videos, but BC3 launched in 2008 and those had been done in Flash. The new BC4 Intro video and the Basics Tutorial video are helpful to give a walkthrough of a common workflow:
    https://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=v4videos

If you then decide to upgrade and register BC4, enter the Key and you can continue to use either BC2 or BC4.
    Last edited by Aaron; 03-Aug-2022, 06:43 PM. Reason: Drag Drop note added
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Since this is BC2, I'm assuming Windows, where the answer is "Yes" with a little configuration. By default, BC2,3,4 all install to separate directories and have separate settings locations, so they install side by side easily.

The only conflict is the shell extension between BC3 and BC4, where you can only have one enabled at a time (toggle each in each program's Tools menu -> Options dialog; Startup tab, then restart Windows, to make that version enabled/disabled). This doesn't actually apply to BC2, and it's shell extension is independent, though it can be confusing to have both sets enabled simultaneously. I'll also add that BC4 has many drag/drop targets in the interface, if you want to enable only BC2's shell extension, and drag/drop items from Explorer onto BC4's open windows instead.

Thanks for the reply. yes, windows 10

so, when you say shell extension, I gather you meant the "select left side" sort of things. Will there be 2 then for bc2 and bc4 and do they say the same thing? if so, how does one determine which is which? Is there maybe a registry edit that could change the text if they are the same?

And when you say backup, are there any other windows things (besides the right click) that could be affected, such as my shortcuts. What about icons?

BC2 works so well and has survived many windows upgrades. I would likely only use the new version once in a while, at least for a while. I just don't want to lose bc2. I'm too old to have to completely learn new tricks all at once

Comment

Hello,

Yes, the Explorer right-click entries, and there isn't a great way to tell the difference, besides a slight shift in the icon colors. I'd recommend disabling one and enabling the other in each program's Tools menu -> Options dialog, then reboot Windows (or log off/on) to apply the change.

Both versions also support drag and drop from Explorer onto the BC4 interface/window, so if you are only periodically using BC4, disable it's shell extension and just use drag and drop or browse buttons when needed.

Backing up all your settings would allow you to uninstall and reinstall the programs (any versions) if necessary. By default, we don't delete your settings during an Uninstall, but having an Export backup is just playing it safe. I don't suspect you'll need to, but if you have never backed up your settings, I'd certainly recommend it. Perhaps email them to yourself as well, for an "off site" backup. You can use this to restore your settings on any new computer, too, and throw in a BC2.5.3 setup.exe just in case.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          Hello,

Both versions also support drag and drop from Explorer onto the BC4 interface/window, so if you are only periodically using BC4, disable it's shell extension and just use drag and drop or browse buttons when needed.

Backing up all your settings would allow you to uninstall and reinstall the programs (any versions) if necessary.
          Well, thanks so much, I just got the v4 pro, my v2 license didn't get me any discount, but considering I got 20 years (and going) I think it's a bargain. I opted to not include the explorer option on install, and will drag and drop for now.

I watched several videos, and they were very helpful.

See you again in 20 years

Comment

It's always worth checking what the discount might be, though no rush as it's based on date of purchase and not elapsed time. We don't have an announced BC5 plan yet, but if it's similar to our BC3 and BC4 plans, there's a date range that could qualify for a free upgrade.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X