Make file editable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make file editable

When I compare 2 Visual FoxPro PRG files in viewers, sometimes the files are editable while sometimes are not. Since a PRG is a plain text file, I would like to make it always editable. Where can I set this option?

Re: Make file editable

Are you using a converter to clean up or otherwise modify the files before they are displayed in File Viewer?

In the options for the rule, under the Conversion Tab, there is a Read-only check box when you are using the External Program conversion type.

Are you starting the File Viewer from the command line, Folder Viewer, or using the Shell Extension?

If you're starting from the session manager, you might have read only options set for the sesssion. To check this, select Session|Session Manager from the Folder Viewer menu. There is a Read-only check box next to each base folder for the session.

Another place you can set read only is in the command line options.
    /readonly
    /leftreadonly
    /rightreadonly

Are all possible read only commands.

If one of those possibilities isn't the problem, please email a .zip of your settings to support using Help|Support and the Export button and we'll look into it further.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your information.

I wonder if the cause of the edit-disabled problem of comparing some plain-text program files is the files contain double-byte Chinese characters and BC2 regards them as binary data.

I remember some time before if I compare files containing binary data, I would get a message which warns me that editing will be disabled. However, I think might have turned off the warning. Now I do not get such message even if I compare 2 DLL files. How can I turn the warning on again?

Ben

Comment

To enable it again, delete this key in system registry,
        [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\FileViewer]
        IgnoreUnicodeErrors

Comment

If BC is having problems because of Chinese characters, it might help to force the Character set in the File Comparison Rules.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X