No announcement yet.

Compare pdf files with BC3?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Compare pdf files with BC3?

    I could do this with BC2 and the pdf filter that I downloaded.

    The download page says the pdf filter for BC3 is Linux only.

    How do I compare pdf files using BC3 and Windows?

  • #2
    The PDF filter is built in to the BC3 windows download. You should be able to just load the two files into the text comparison and have it work.
    Zoë P Scooter Software


    • #3
      I am getting "Conversion Error" with a red X at the top of each comparison pane when I compare pdf files. At the bottom, I get a red X and "External Program not found".

      I used to use a pdf filter with BC2. Perhaps something is wrong with my setup, not that I have BC3. How can I correct the problem?




      • #4
        Did you import your BC2 settings?

        Look in the Tools->File Formats dialog and make sure the "PDF Documents", about half-way down, is black and not red. If it is see if there's a PDF format higher up that's blocking it and if so delete it. The PDF converter itself is in the BC3 install folder, in the "Helpers" subfolder. If it isn't there try running the BC3 installer again and tell it to upgrade.
        Zoë P Scooter Software


        • #5
          Even though the pdftotext.exe program existed in the Helpers folder, I reinstalled BC3 and told it to upgrade. I still have the "External program not found" error. (Also, there is no pdf filter above the default, and the default is black.)

          The pdftotext.exe says it is version 3.02. It is located at "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\Helpers\PdfToText.exe".




          • #6

            Go to the Tools menu -> File Formats.

            As Craig suggests, make sure you have a PDF Documents file format, associated with *.pdf.
            This rule should be black (not red) text.

            Once this is verified, we need to double check the Conversion tab's settings. Can you click a Factory Defaults on the Conversion tab, or is it grayed out?
            What is the text in your Conversion: External Program section? It should be:
            Helpers\PdfToText.exe -layout -nopgbrk %s %t
            with Disable Editing enabled.
            Aaron P Scooter Software


            • #7

              Before your post, I put the full path to PdfToText into the external program section. That worked.

              I just tried clicking Factory Defaults, and that changed the external program to:
              Helpers\PdfToText.exe -layout -nopgbrk %s %t
              , which works.

              Prior to all of this, there was no folder name on PdfToText.exe. That was the problem. I don't know exactly how this happened.

              Thanks for the help,


              • #8
                did all... still convertion error?


                same problem here...
                I'm testing BC3 (been using BC2 for a LOOONNNGGG Time and LOVE IT!)

                But have some issues and new habits to get use to...
                This PDf problem persists even after Factory settings?
                I had a lot of rules imported from BC2 ... But deactivated all the "RED's"

                (Also HTML rule is messing up...) But before upgrading I wanted to get all working (like I'm use to with my BC2 -HEARTWARE-


                • #9
                  Pdf still a problem...



                  • #10
                    Hi Netz,

                    If you open Explorer and type the path "%AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3" it should bring you to where your settings are stored. Try renaming BCFileFormats.xml and see if the PDF comparison works then. If not, you may need to reinstall BC.

                    If you're still having trouble you can use BC's Help->Support menu item to generate a support dump with your settings. Email that to [email protected] and we should be able to help you get it straightened out.
                    Zoë P Scooter Software


                    • #11
                      I hit same problem too and done some digging on my own. Apparently the files were the problem on their own. They happened to consist of images containing text, no text per se. I understand nothing short of OCR can handle that.