Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can BC3 handle PDF version 1.5 but not (yet) 1.6 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can BC3 handle PDF version 1.5 but not (yet) 1.6 ?

I am trying to compare two PDF documents which appear to be created with "PDF Version 1.6" - BC3 complains "Conversion Error". I tried some other PDF files I have laying around, and found that the ones that convert/diff correctly using BC3 are "PDF Version 1.5". Is it possible to locate an updated conversion filter to handle the latest PDF version ?

Hello,

There could be other causes for a conversion error. Would you be able to email in a pair of sample files to [email protected]? If you email us, please include a link to this email thread for reference.

If you open the PDF files in Adobe, are you able to use the Adobe's File menu -> Save as Text option to save to a plain text file? Once done, does the text file contain the text of your PDF?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

I too had this issue, and tried to
      • Updrade the Helper
      • Change the parameters given to the Helper according to a different thread on this forum
      • Look for a log file for additional information on the error

but wasn't helped. I finally tried to run the helper (pdftotext.exe) on a command line, and was told that
      Permission Error: Copying of text from this document is not allowed.
      I assume this is a property of the pdf document, and not something that is possible to work around?

It would be really helpful if BC could relay this info to the user, if not in the interface, then at least in some log file.

Comment

Hello,

To check to see if it is a security block, please open the PDF in Adobe, and check the Properties and Security of the file. Or see if the "Save As.." option is available with "Text" as an option.

Reporting back with more information is on our Customer Wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

FYI. Not sure if you found the latest plugin or not, but to let everyone know, the PdfToText plugin from FoolLabs was updated in 8/2011 with a large number of updates per the change log. I haven't found any problems in BC2 and it seems much faster. Precompiled binaries available for 32 and 64bit windows.

http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

Comment

Thanks, maurice.

We'll look into updating the version we're using for BC3.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Aaron,
              I'm testing BC3 3.3.8, it still can't support PDF 1.6.
              Is there any news?
              Thank you.

Comment

Thanks, Victor. We haven't included it by default, but in the meantime you can add it in manually by replacing the current conversion command line, or replacing the current pdftotext.exe.

We have a sample KB article about using any custom conversion here (the example uses RESX):
                http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...rnalconversion
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                X