Access denied errors copying with BC3, but fine with BC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access denied errors copying with BC3, but fine with BC2

I regularly synchronise from a network location (XP Pro sp3) to a USB drive attached to my local Vista PC. However with BC3.07 I keep getting access denied errors overwriting older files, but if I use BC2 everything works fine.

I have used Process Monitor to get some more information and BC3 is getting access denied from the CreateFile call on the existing target file on the USB drive. I am using TrueCrypt encryption on the USB drive and when I have time I'll try another test on a standard partition on the same drive, but of course BC2 has been working fine on several encrypted drives for a long time.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

Are your Errors consistant if you attempt to move the same file multiple times, does it prompt multiple times?
    In BC2, the same pair of files will copy without issue?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Yes BC3 will fail each time. I've just tried five times in a row with BC3 and each time it showed the same access denied errors and then I switched to BC2 and it worked first time.

One other point I've noticed is that the files in question were all in the hidden 'CVS' folder that CVS uses, however I tried removing the hidden attribute and that made no difference.

Comment

Hello,

Try copying just one CVS Folder (or file inside of the folder) with each of: My Computer, BC2, BC3. Does it copy successfully (double check contents, size, timestamp) with My Computer and BC2, but not BC3?

Is the Access Denied error a System Error Code 5: Access Denied?
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...cessdenied.php
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Apologies - I've found the cause and it's my fault.

As I use BC2 for checking folder virtualisations in Vista, I had set the exe (not the shortcut) some time ago to always run as admin. So even though I checked both shortcuts for 'run as admininstrator' it wasn't until I checked the integrity level of the running instance of BC2 versus BC3 that I spotted the difference. There are a few folders on the target drive that have had permissions copied over at some point - hence the access denied!

Comment

Working...
          X