Unable to copy 15.wma: The system cannot find the path specified
    Unable to copy 4.wma: The system cannot find the path specified
    Unable to copy 6.wma: The system cannot find the path specified
    Unable to copy 9.wma: The system cannot find the path specified
    Unable to copy 12.wma: The system cannot find the path specified
    Unable to copy 18.wma: The system cannot find the path specified
    Unable to copy 13.wma: The system cannot find the path specified
    Unable to copy 17.wma: The system cannot find the path specified
    the file references are insufficient to indentify the file. I need full filepaths from the base folder.

Thanks again for an excellent program.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 26-Nov-2008, 09:57 AM.

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll talk to our developers about displaying the full path in error messages in a future release.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll talk to our developers about displaying the full path in error messages in a future release.
      Chris / Team Scooter:

Has this been adressed yet? I very much would like to have the path in the errorlog.

Let me explain my situation:

Recently one of my servers was near crashing, but I managed to get nearly all my data to a SAN. During this move some files (mostly Excel files) got corrupted

The server was replaced, the volumes (now on the SAN) got mapped to the users drives, and I had to have a tool to compare the files that did manage to make it to the SAN to the files that I restored from tape backup to a second server that I built especially for that purpose.
      Searching the Novell forums for some good advise on wich tool to use for the comparison of the files on the SAN and the restored files pointed me to Beyond Compare, so I recently purchased a copy of your (btw magnificent) piece of software.

I started with a "simple" compare, and managed to get quite a lot of files back to the user environment.
      But... After a few days some people reported that some files on the SAN, although filesize and date/time stamp were similar to the version on the restore server, could not be opened properly.
      Investigation showed that the files got corrupted, and I needed to find a way to be able to compare the files on another level.

So I started a rules-based comparison, and, if I understand well, the first worksheet of an Excel file is exported to csv format and then compared.
      Comparing two Excel files, with the one on the right being the file on the SAN and the one on the left on the restore server, throws an error message when one of both files can not be converted (and very likely is corrupted):

Also the errors are displayed in the log window. Some examples:

25-11-2008 15:32:03 Unable to compare fact afl sep 2008.xls: Cannot open file "F:\BC31C00.tmp". The system cannot find the file specified
      25-11-2008 15:32:14 Unable to compare bank aug.xls: Cannot open file "F:\BC31C00.tmp". The system cannot find the file specified
      25-11-2008 15:32:17 Unable to compare Gas oil surcharge PTC.xls: Cannot open file "F:\BC31C00.tmp". The system cannot find the file specified

As you can see only the filename is mentioned, not the path to the file.
      Would I know the full path, then it would be relatively easy to replace the corrupted files on the SAN with the ones on the restore server.
      But with basically only the filename(s) as a pointer, I would have to search for every filename that shows up in the log, and still have an undoable amount of work in front of me.

So, to bring it all together, some questions:

Is there a setting in the version of Beyond Compare that I am using (see picture) that will write the entire path to the log window, or is there a release upcoming (in the nearby future) that will have that feature?

Is there a way to stop Beyond Compare to pop up this error message window?
      I now have to comfirm each and every error message

Is there perhaps another possible way to use Beyond Compare to identify the corrupted files?

Any help is appreciated.

vGnp

Comment

Hello vGnp,

There isn't a setting that will display the full path in the error message. This is in our issue tracker as a todo item for an upcoming release, but I don't know when it will be added.

I don't think it is possible to bypass the error popup window.

You can try using the Actions > Compare Contents command to do a rules-based comparison with the "Show Results dialog" box checked. I'm not sure if it will give you better error information, but it might be worth trying.

Sorry, I can't think of another way to identify the corrupted files.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

@vGnp:

Why do you use rules-based compare for detecting corruption?
          Wouldn't it be more suiteable to use the binary method? Using it you can be sure that same files are really the same from bit to bit ...

Furthermore a converting via the wscript is not neccesary so the nasty error dialog wouldn't appear either ...

Bye
          Christoph

Comment

Originally posted by chrroe View Post
            Wouldn't it be more suiteable to use the binary method?

Bye
            Christoph
            I just started a binary comparison, it does sound like it might do the trick

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            You can try using the Actions > Compare Contents command to do a rules-based comparison with the "Show Results dialog" box checked. I'm not sure if it will give you better error information, but it might be worth trying.
            As soon as the binary comparison has finished I will try your suggestion

vGnp

Comment

The binary comparison works like a charm, so I haven't tried Chris' solution yet

vGnp

Comment

The next release will include full filename paths in error messages.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Excellent! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X