Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy retaining timestamp/Modified

How can I do this?

Or otherwise workaround the need for a compare of original and backup to have '[ ] Compare timestamps' - I want to use timestamps to indicate equality, having insufficient time to wait for content compare.

Also, is there really distinction in BC UI between timestamp and Modified, or is this just sloppy labelling?
    Last edited by chrisjj; 29-Oct-2008, 03:04 PM.

What problem are you having? Copying files already copies the last modified times as well. If you have a bunch of files and you just want to update the timestamps you can use the "Touch" command.

We display, compare, and set the last modified time. The last accessed and creation times are both ignored.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

> Copying files already copies the last modified times as well.

Thanks and apologies - the cause here must be outside BC.

> We display, compare, and set the last modified time.

Thanks. I suggest consistent labelling would be clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
        Also, is there really distinction in BC UI between timestamp and Modified, or is this just sloppy labelling?
        I'm not sure what you're seeing, but on my computer the name of the timestamp column is "Modified" (in folder compare), so the labelling seems correct to me. Maybe it's a problem with the localization strings?

Comment

> I'm not sure what you're seeing, but on my computer the name of
          > the timestamp column is "Modified"

Well, that's one half of the inconsistency!

See the original posting if you're unclear on the other.

Comment

Personally, this thread seems to fall into the category of "nit-picking" and personal preference. In my opinion, refering to "timestamp" in session settings is natural...and makes sense. Refering to "Modified" in a folder compare column heading is a good way to let the user know which timestamp BC is using in a folder compare "quick test" (namely the Modified date/time stamp).

Since we all stare at "Modified" all day long in active folder compare sessions, it should be obvious what "timestamp" means when seen in the session settings Compare tab. I disagree with the assessment that this is sloppy labelling. Furthermore, I believe that the terminology remains consistent with earlier versions of Beyond Compare.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

> Refering to "Modified" in a folder compare column heading
              > is a good way to let the user know which timestamp BC is using

Documenting in the Help is a better way, IMO.

> Since we all stare at "Modified" all day long in active folder compare
              > sessions, it should be obvious

Actually I was thinking more of the benefit to users who don't.

> I believe that the terminology remains consistent with earlier
              > versions of Beyond Compare.

Sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                > Refering to "Modified" in a folder compare column heading
                > is a good way to let the user know which timestamp BC is using

Documenting in the Help is a better way, IMO.
                An intuitive interface that does not require a user to open help for every little thing is the best design.
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Agreed, but that doesn't recommend label inconsistency as a form of documentation.

Comment

Please can BC copy creation timestamps also?

Originally posted by Craig View Post
                    We display, compare, and set the last modified time. The last accessed and creation times are both ignored.
                    I would like to preserve all file and folder timestamps when copying/syncing (particularly the creation timestamp).

Isn't this a quick thing to do?

If copying left to right, surely it's just:
                    1. GetFileTime() on left file/folder.
                    2. Copy file from left to right.
                    3. SetFileTime() on right file/folder.

In VB the functions are declared as follows:
                    Code:
                    Private Declare Function GetFileTime Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hFile As Long, lpCreationTime As FILETIME, lpLastAccessTime As FILETIME, lpLastWriteTime As FILETIME) As Long
                    Private Declare Function SetFileTime Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hFile As Long, lpCreationTime As FILETIME, lpLastAccessTime As FILETIME, lpLastWriteTime As FILETIME) As Long
                    I look forward to this functionality.
                    Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I've added these notes into our Customer Wishlist entry on the subject.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                      X