9222 Comparing different types in same folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9222 Comparing different types in same folder

I have a folder tree containing (largely) pairs of .JPG and .GIF files. I want to compare just the .JPGs on one side with just the .GIFs on the other.

E.g. filter to see orphans.

If this is possible, please could someone tell me how.

Thanks.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 06-Nov-2008, 10:45 AM.

You mean you want to see just the jpegs on the left and just the gifs on the right? We don't support that right now. I've considered having sided name filters to handle this case, but we haven't had previous requests for it, and it without those it would have introduced needless complications to the filter dialog. If that is what you're asking for I can add it to the wishlist.

Possible workarounds:
    1) Use filters and "copy to folder" to make separate copies with just one filetype per tree.
    2) Save two snapshots of the tree with filters in effect.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

>> I want to compare just the .JPGs on one side with just the .GIFs on the other.
      > You mean you want to see just the jpegs on the left and just the gifs on the right?

left/right, right/left - I'm not fussed.

> We don't support that

OK.

> I can add it to the wishlist.

Thanks.

Comment

I thought you would be able to set your file filters using relative path names from a common parent, then align the two folders. The first step worked. I was able to filter out all but .jpg files in one folder, and filter all but .gif files in the other... but when I aligned the two folders, the filtered files became visible again.

See screencast.

Scooter: Could you explain why the file filters are violated when folders are aligned?
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Aside from one specific case (folder filters when flattening), filename filters do not affect the which files are included or how they're aligned. The reason they reappear is because they're lined up with unfiltered items. The same behavior occurs if you filter by date or file size and only one side matches the filter.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

> Save two snapshots of the tree with filters in effect.

That proving useful at least for read-only work - thanks.

Comment

> I thought you would be able to set your file filters using
              > relative path names from a common parent,

That would require the two file sets to be in different sub-folders, note. As it happens mine are not.

Comment

Working...
              X