BC2 file copy problem between Win98 and WinXP-Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC2 file copy problem between Win98 and WinXP-Home

I recently tried to use BC2 to synch folders over a local network from an old Win98 machine to a WinXP-Home machine.
    Received the following BC2 error message on any file copy attempt:
    "Error copying filename: The request is not supported".

Windows networking and file sharing seem to be working correctly as I can use Windows Explorer on the WinXP-Home machine to transfer files between machines (and I am running BC2 on the WinXP machine).

Oddly, when I attempt to copy folders from Win98 to WinXP with BC2, the folders themselves get copied, but the files within them do not.

Any ideas?

Hello,

Chris got back to you via the email we sent, but just in case other users search the forum here:

The error message is actually an error message from Windows when BC tries to do the copy, but I'm not sure what it means. Do you have any of the options like "Maintain DOS 8.3 aliases" checked in the Advanced tab of Session > Comparison Control? Some of the advanced options can sometimes fail.

You can also try using BC on the other computer (the Win98).

Also, are you using the most recent version of BC2? You can update here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=dl2_en
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for posting.
      I'd just add that following along Chris' tip, I determined that the error was caused by the Detecting of Partial Locks option. Things seem to be working again without that option selected (which, as Chris pointed out, is generally only useful with the Outlook PST file).

Comment

Working...
      X