Syncs run much faster when BC minimized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncs run much faster when BC minimized

I've noticed that syncs run much faster when BC is minimized (i.e. minimize BC after starting Mirror -> Right from a folder-compare session). In my case this is most noticeable when I'm syncing a large number of small files.

I'm not sure if this is indirectly caused by my TrueCrypt system volume (which tends to make the CPU the bottleneck instead of the hard drive) or if it's a more general problem with BC. Regardless I wanted to document this here.

In general I've noticed that BC3 does a lot of screen painting during syncs, more than BC2 did. For example, I wish there were a way to disable the constant updating of the folder-size columns, etc. All I care about is to watch each file disappear from the screen after BC syncs it.

Another factor might be because I use 1920 x 1200 resolution so I have quite a few more folders and files on my screen at a time than, for example, a 1024 x 768 display.

Comment

Pete,

It isn't possible to prevent updating of the folder-size columns, but you can remove them from the display if they aren't needed. Right click the on the column header then check or uncheck columns to show or hide them.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        It isn't possible to prevent updating of the folder-size columns, [...]
        Thanks, Chris. I guess I'll just live with it until the day when I buy a multi-core computer. Supposedly TrueCrypt uses all cores at the same time, so I'm hoping that all of the performance problems will disappear (from all of my apps, not just BC).

The problem isn't usually noticeable except when there is intensive disk activity.

Comment

Working...
        X