Duplicate Paths When Copy or Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate Paths When Copy or Update

Can BC compare files with the folder structure taken into account. For example if I have the following files:

On Drive C:\
    C:\My Folder\ABC.doc

On Drive D:\
    D:\Another Folder\ABC.doc

Using Folder Compare and Update Right, if the file ABC.doc on Drive D is older than the file ABC.doc on Drive C, BC will identify the difference and on an Update Right it will overwrite D:\Another Folder\ABC.doc with C:\My Folder\ABC.doc. I want to have BC identify that there is no "My Folder\ABC.doc" file on D:\ and create the folder "My Folder" on D:\ and copy ABC.doc there (rather that overwrite the file of the same name within a folder of a different name.

Is this possible in BC?

Certainly. BC3 will only overwrite the file on "Another Folder" if you've paired "D:\Another Folder\" with "C:\My Folder\" or if you've set BC3 to "Ignore Folder Structure".

If you compare with C:\ and D:\ as your base folders, select "My Folder" and then Update Right, it will create the missing file and folder on the right side.

If you don't want other folders in C:\ and D:\ to be visible during your sync operation, you can set your Include folders filter to "My Folder" before you begin.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
      Certainly. BC3 will only overwrite the file on "Another Folder" if you've paired "D:\Another Folder\" with "C:\My Folder\" or if you've set BC3 to "Ignore Folder Structure".

If you compare with C:\ and D:\ as your base folders, select "My Folder" and then Update Right, it will create the missing file and folder on the right side.

If you don't want other folders in C:\ and D:\ to be visible during your sync operation, you can set your Include folders filter to "My Folder" before you begin.
      Thanks Mike for the quick response.

Now I understand what "Ignore Folder Structure" actually does. Instead of simply providing another way of looking at a drive or folder, it actually sets up a different paradigm for processing the files in that drive or folder.

Unfortunately, the BC help is sparse and there are no examples. Good thing there is an active and knowledgeable BC forum community.

Regards

Comment

Working...
      X