Sort by part of the filename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort by part of the filename

Is there any way to sort a folder listing by part of the filename? For example, I'd like to sort this:

02 County Fair.mp3
    02 Cover of the Rolling Stone.mp3
    02 Daniel.mp3
    15 County Fair.mp3
    16 Daniel.mp3

to this:

02 County Fair.mp3
    15 County Fair.mp3
    02 Cover of the Rolling Stone.mp3
    02 Daniel.mp3
    16 Daniel.mp3

In this case, I'm sorting the filename based on characters 3 through the end.

I don't think this is possible, but Beyond Compare never fails to impress and amaze me with the things it can do.

Kind regards,

Rick
    Last edited by sakima; 04-Oct-2009, 03:27 PM.

Hello Rick,

Thanks. Unfortunately, Beyond Compare's sorting does not support that style of sorting (ignoring a number at the front).

If you are attempting to find duplicates, you may be better trying to use a specific Duplicate Finding software. Or you could use BC3 to apply file name filters to find only specific files (*County Fair*).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Duplicate checking is *part* of the goal, but not the only goal. Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have MP3 files in one directory -- named as above, with a leading track number. Actually they are in several subdirectories (by artist and album) under a common root. Using "Ignore folder structure," I compare this directory to the media card in my phone, where the MP3 files are named without the track number. I use "Alignment Override" (left side: ^\d+\s(.+) and right side: $1) to match the files. It works beautifully, but finding the files I want to copy from my media library to the phone is difficult because of the leading track numbers. And sometimes, the same song name may be a different version (live vs. studio, for example). If I could sort by a substring of the filename (just the name, somehow skipping the leading track numbers), I could easily find the desired songs, since they'd be in alphabetical order. IF I had the entire library on my phone, I could sort by that directory listing, but I don't have room for the entire library there. Hope that makes since.

Bottom line is, it would be really cool to have an "enhanced" sort of some kind, such that the sort key could be a substring of the filename. I doubt many folks would need/want this, so I don't expect it would be high on your list of features to add.

Kind regards,

Rick

Comment

Thanks for the more detailed information on your specific task. I've added your notes to our Customer Wishlist. There are a few items related to this on our Customer Wishlist, but they would be large changes if we are able to work on them.

In the meantime, is there a workaround you have been using to help make this easier? Does your phone not support folder structure for sorting the songs?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I don't have a workaround yet. I just look through the list for what I want and copy to the phone.

My phone probably supports folders, but that's not really the problem. The issue is that I have several thousand songs, including several (potentially many) duplicates or alternate recordings. If I could sort the entire list by name of song, I could find things more easily and copy specific songs to the phone. Sorting by a substring of the filename would be perfect.

I have a couple of thoughts for a workaround, but haven't had time to experiment yet.

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

Let us know whatever you find. I'll be sure to add it to our notes on the topic, and any other users who use the public forum may find it useful too.

From your description, I would recommend using a Duplicate Finding software to get rid of your duplicates and clean up your folder structure on your computer. Once that is done, copy the individual files over to the phone. The folder structure will be duplicated where it is necessary, and you could then keep it in sync between both devices without extra configuration.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I don't want to delete the duplicate (or apparent duplicate) files. Since the tracks are stored by individual CD/album, I like having them together. While a song may appear on two or more CDs/albums, and thus appear in multiple directories, I don't want to delete it/them, as I want the entire CD/album intact. And in some cases, a song by the same name may be a different version -- live vs studio version, for example. I don't copy the entire set of music files to my phone. First, the entire set wouldn't fit. Second, I'd never listen to that much music on my phone anyway. I just want to a few now and then. BC is great for the task. The sorting by part of the filename (ignoring the track number) would simply allow me to find songs more easily. It's far from critical. But it would be convenient. I'll keep poking.

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X