Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature req.: option to skip empty folders when synchronizing

Hi,

since this is my first post here: BC is a really nice peace of SW. One that makes life easier. And with BC3, it got even better. I already use it a lot, but keep finding new new areas where it excells. Just great, thanks!!! When do you start selling? :-)

I've just tried to synch folders where i only have a partial folder structure on one side and the full folder structure on the other. Now, i've used filters to get rid of a lot of stuff on the 'full' side which leaves a lot of empty folders. When i'm now synching from 'full' to 'partial', BC3 will also create all these empty folders on the 'partial' side.

Maybe i've just not found the right option(s), but if not it would be nice to add one which lets you skip the synchronization of empty folders.

Keep up the good work!

/Kai

Hi Kai,

There are two ways to handle this:

1) Filter out the folders themselves instead of the files they contain. If an entire folder is filtered out it won't be synchronized.

2) Turn off the "Compare Folder Structures" checkbox in the Session options. That's the setting that's used to determine whether to sync empty orphan folders. It will affect empty folders under the folders you do want to sync too though.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Craig,

> There are two ways to handle this:

> 1) Filter out the folders themselves instead of the files they contain. If an
      > entire folder is filtered out it won't be synchronized.
      Hmm, this is not really a solution when there are ~1000 empty folders without a common name which can be used to filter them out.

> 2) Turn off the "Compare Folder Structures" checkbox in the Session options.
      > That's the setting that's used to determine whether to sync empty orphan
      > folders. It will affect empty folders under the folders you do want to sync too > though.
      Ahh! Sounds much better. Just tried it, and yes, that's exactly what i wanted. I actually saw these options before, but obviously did not quite understand them. I've tried both 'Ignore folder structure' and 'Compare folder structure'. But due to the way they are displayed (as checkboxes, but with radio button behaviour), i did not get the idea to disable both. It might be a good idea to display them as three radio buttons 'Ignore ...', 'Compare ...', 'Ignore empty ...' (or whatever name you want to choose).

Thanks,
      Kai

Comment

Working...
      X