Time stamps set to copy time when to Network Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time stamps set to copy time when to Network Drive

Hi, Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the forums, but I could not find it.

I built a new computer with Windows 7. Now when I use BC 3.1.9 to copy files to a Network drive mapped to a letter (on Maxtor Shared Server, which uses a Linux SMB sharing) the file dates come up as the copy time, not the original mod date/time. This works OK on my XP machines, and the Touch can be used to correct this.
    When I copy to local drives or flash media I do not have this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Does using the "Actions > Touch" command to copy timestamps to the Maxtor work correctly?

It might also help to update the firmware on your Maxtor if an update is available.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chris,
      I have seen this a few times now also. I've only started seeing it in BC3. I would think that when you compare 2 folders and you say copy new it would carry over the dates on the folders. otherwise the compare would be off.

I had to use touch to fix it but still it should be automatically done or at least made an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Elddric View Post
        I have seen this a few times now also. I've only started seeing it in BC3.
        When do you see an issue with the timestamp being retained? Are you copying to a Windows folder, a remote machine, an FTP site...?
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Elddric,

Beyond Compare only copies file modified dates. It does not copy folder dates. Preservation of folder dates is on our wish list for a future release. In the current version, you can use the "Actions > Touch" command to copy folder timestamps if your file system is NTFS after files are copied.

Also, note that Beyond Compare only compares file timestamps. It does not compare folder timestamps.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

To clarify my issue. The Maxtor server is not the problem. BC3 on Win XP works fine. It is only on Win 7 and the network share. The issue is with files only, directories are not an issue.
            Touch works fine, That is how I am fixing things when they go wrong.
            This is a windows shared folder (to everyone). Not FTP

I also had some issues with access rights and true crypt.

Comment

Hello,

Are your Last Modified Dates preserved if you, on your Win 7 machine:
              1) Copy a single file with Beyond Compare from Win7 Hdd to your \\maxtor\folder?
              2) Copy a single file with My Computer from Win7 Hdd to your \\maxtor\folder?

Do you still have access to your WinXP machine to re-verify it is still working? Or did you upgrade to Win 7? If the above My Computer test fails, there may be an update to the firmware available for your Maxtor server.

If the My Computer test works, and BC3 fails, could you go into more detail on how the server is setup? Is it accessible with a standard network share path: \\computerName\SharedFolder ?

I have tested this in a Windows 7 VM copying across the network to a \\WinXP network share and it preserves timestamps during the initial copy.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                Hello,
                Are your Last Modified Dates preserved if you, on your Win 7 machine:
                1) Copy a single file with Beyond Compare from Win7 Hdd to your \\maxtor\folder?
                No
                2) Copy a single file with My Computer from Win7 Hdd to your \\maxtor\folder?
                This is where it gets weird. I do the copy and the window shows today's Date. I do a refresh and it reverts the modified. It is almost as if the copy puts in the new date, then fixes it

Do you still have access to your WinXP machine to re-verify it is still working?
                yes and with the latest version of BC3
                If the above My Computer test fails, there may be an update to the firmware available for your Maxtor server.

If the My Computer test works, and BC3 fails, could you go into more detail on how the server is setup? Is it accessible with a standard network share path: \\computerName\SharedFolder ?
                I have tested this in a Windows 7 VM copying across the network to a \\WinXP network share and it preserves timestamps during the initial copy.
                The shared server is MSS+ it has the latest version of FW (an open source variant) The share is \\common\public. This share is open to everyone. I have privilege issues with mounted True Crypt.

I am using W7 Professional 64 bit. And FYI in XP mode it does the same thing (But I am using the map via the W7 machine)
                Last edited by Icreadence; 02-Mar-2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

OK now it is REALLY weird. If I copy a file with BC. It shows up with the current date and time. If I log out and back in, and re-run BC, the date is now correct. It is also correct if I shut down BC3 and re-launch. A full refresh will not correct the issue. Sometimes even re-launching does not correct this, but re-re-launching does.
                  It seems W7 is reporting the current time on the first fetch, BC seems to be caching this, and the real date does not show up until you re-launch, relogin or what ever.

Comment

I talked with one of our developers and we don't cache the date/time. On a full refresh we ask the system for the date and time again. It sounds like the firmware has some issues with this when reporting to My Computer initially. It is possible My Computer's refresh attempts some additional calls, or does somethings differently; but BC3's refresh does ask for the date/timestamp from the system properly.

If you would like to continue to troubleshoot this, I would recommend setting up a network shared folder on your XP machine, and test copying directly to and from the Win7 and WinXP machines. This could help narrow down if it is the firmware on the device, or something odd with your Win7 setup.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Reviving an old thread here, I know, but I wonder if anyone made progress on this issue? I have exactly the same problem. Until recently I was using BC3 on XP SP3 without any issues.

Now I've moved to Win7 (x64). When I use BC3 to copy files to or between network shares, BC3 reports that the modified date of the copy is the current date and time. I have to refresh (sometimes three or four times) before BC correctly reports the date on the copy.

This only happens on network shares, copying between local drives works as expected. I'm using the most recent version of BC3.
                      Last edited by johnk; 13-Jan-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Hello John,

We would need a bit more information on your specific setup. We have Windows 7 and network shares to test against in the office, so this is not a general Win7/Network issue.

Where is your share hosting? (NAS device? Windows XP machine using the default sharing methods?)
                        Is it the number of refreshes or a variable amount of time post-transfer that helps correct the date? You mention refreshing 3-4 times and then it works, but would it also work if you wait a minute and refresh once?

If you perform the copy with My Computer or Windows Explorer, do you see any issues?
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The share is a NAS device on my home network (using NASLite, a Linux-based file server OS).

There are no issues with Explorer copies. And indeed there are no issues with the BC copies, it's just the initial reporting of the copy's modified date by BC.

Other than the change in OS (XP -> Win7 x64) my system is unchanged, and as I said, I had no such issue when using BC3 on under XP.

Comment

Hello,

That is odd behavior. Sometimes we see some non-standard behavior when dealing with NAS devices; are there any firmware updates or driver updates available for your NASLite?

Also, did you get a chance to try my initial test suggestion?
                            "Is it the number of refreshes or a variable amount of time post-transfer that helps correct the date? You mention refreshing 3-4 times and then it works, but would it also work if you wait a minute and refresh once?"
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

That is odd behavior. Sometimes we see some non-standard behavior when dealing with NAS devices; are there any firmware updates or driver updates available for your NASLite?

Also, did you get a chance to try my initial test suggestion?
                              "Is it the number of refreshes or a variable amount of time post-transfer that helps correct the date? You mention refreshing 3-4 times and then it works, but would it also work if you wait a minute and refresh once?"
                              Sorry about the delay in replying. My NASLite installation is up to date. Yes, it appears to be "time post-transfer" that corrects the date. If I wait a minute or two, I only need one refresh to correct all dates.

Comment

Working...
                              X