No announcement yet.

Copy Folder Tree (only - no file copy)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy Folder Tree (only - no file copy)?

Hi -

I opened BC3, found a folder tree structure that I wanted to copy to a new location (its pretty complicated), then went to click on "Copy Folder Tree", and oops! There was no command!

Is it possible to use BC3 to create a mirror folder structure with NO FILES? If so, how would I do that?

It would be even better if I could select the depth of folders that would be copied (top only, 2nd, all)...

Thanks,

1. Exclude all files (-*.*)
    2. Select all folders you want to copy
    3. Synchronize: Update Right ("Just selection" checked):
    (Preview should show: "Create nn empty folders on right")
    4. Sync

Greetings Lutz

Comment

As an alternative to using the -*.* filter, you can add the special filter "show none" to the menu. Select "Tools > Customize Commands". Go to the "Show None" command. Check "Show command in menu".

If you have your folder filter set to "View > Always Show Folders", select "View > Show None" to only see folders.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks to you both, now I have 2 ways to do it!!

Comment

Hi David!

Its only one reasonable way to do it.
          What Chris mentioned only refers to step 1 and indeed his suggestion is the better way.

A second way would be to use the "copy to" command at step 3 but with this you have to make sure that under Options/Folder Views/Confirmations/How filters affect file actions "Include hidden items by default" is unchecked or "Confirm file copy" is checked to let you uncheck hidden items before copying.

With this you see that using sync is the better choice.

Greetings Lutz

BTW:
          I have made all 19 file filter buttons on the Display Filters-toolbar visible to get instant access to nearly every combination and placed them with the File Filters-toolbar in a second toolbar row.

@Scooter:
          One more suggestion for the wishlist: Is it possible to add an install option to activate all NEW customizable commands in menu and on toolbar for all session types or mark NEW commands in the Customize Commands so that I don't have to check the 10 long (151 enries in folder compare) lists manually with every new version?

At last: The Session-toolbars Session dropdown expands to right out of my desktop. If this is docked at the right side it should expand to left.
          Last edited by Lutz; 22-Mar-2010, 04:36 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

What about a script?
            I have been working with a script, but I cannot get it to exclude the actual files inside the folder tree. Any ideas?
            Here is a snapshot of what I want to do:
            Copy folder structure from left --> right.
            Select all .jpg files on the left
            copy them to the folder structure on the right
            Delete .jpg files from the left side
            Then finally clean up the right side folder structure by deleting empty folders.

Help. It keeps copying everything from left to right, then it will delete it all on the right, except for the .jpg files. I am missing something, just don't know what it is.
            Any takers??

Comment

Originally posted by Lutz View Post
              @Scooter:
              One more suggestion for the wishlist: Is it possible to add an install option to activate all NEW customizable commands in menu and on toolbar for all session types or mark NEW commands in the Customize Commands so that I don't have to check the 10 long (151 enries in folder compare) lists manually with every new version?
              Thanks for the suggestion. If you use the Tools -> Export command, and select Commands in the older version (3.1.10), then install the new version of BC3 (BC 3.1.11) and export the Commands, compare between the two exports should show any changes or new commands. How does that work for you?

Originally posted by Lutz View Post
              At last: The Session-toolbars Session dropdown expands to right out of my desktop. If this is docked at the right side it should expand to left.
              [ATTACH]530[/ATTACH]
              Thanks. I've made a tracker entry to look into this.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

Could you email a copy of your script file to [email protected] ?
                Please also include a link back to this forum post.

Your Support.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export) may also be useful. Are you using BC2 or BC3? Do you have a File Name Filter applied?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                X