Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12204 How is one sopposed to know when/if Find Filename has matched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12204 How is one sopposed to know when/if Find Filename has matched?

I can see no way to discover, short of manually comparing the "Searching for:" input with the filename under the selector.

The Find Filename dialog has drastically changed in the 3.2 beta. Feel free to update or install a Portable Install to see the differences.

In the upcoming version, we display a status bar pop-up if no matches were found. If there is a match, it will be selected.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks. Meanwhile, an answer to the question?

Comment

It is expected that you look at the selected filename to see if it is the one you want.
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

OK, thanks.

> In the upcoming version ... If there is a match, it will be selected.

Sounds no different to me.

Comment

In BC 3.2 beta, the "Search > Find Filename" command adds search options to the dialog, like controlling the importance of character case, using regular expressions, etc.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I meant: no different in the aspect under discussion.

How about adding an indicator showing if the find matches? Obviating "that you look at the selected filename to see if it is the one you want."

Comment

For some future version we will consider adding a feature, similar to the colored background in FireFox's Find command, that indicates when there are no matches to what has been typed so far.
                Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

How do you get past that look if the find is doing a partial match? If you type "fin" in the search box, then you could be matching a file named "finish", or "finnish", or "finned rockets". What I've missed in the past is the option to go to the next matching file; I've only been able to do better by making the match text more complete.

FWIW, in Windows Explorer, I'm used to taking a quick look for a file by typing the first letter (er, character), which takes me to the next match. Typing the same letter cycles through the other files with the same first letter/character.

/dps

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    For some future version we will consider ...
                    I hope you'll take it a bit more seriosuly than that.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                      Well, taking it seriously and scheduling the resources are two different things. I'm a customer who would not be voting to make this priority over items already on the wishlist.

/dps

Comment

Originally posted by snidely.too View Post
                        What I've missed in the past is the option to go to the next matching file; I've only been able to do better by making the match text more complete.
                        If you haven't yet, check out the 3.2 beta. The Folder Compare's "Find Filename" command now behaves like find commands in other views (ex. Text Compare).

FWIW, in Windows Explorer, I'm used to taking a quick look for a file by typing the first letter (er, character), which takes me to the next match. Typing the same letter cycles through the other files with the same first letter/character.
                        In the 3.2 beta, the Folder Compare also has "incremental search" (find as you type). In order to go to the next item that starts with the same letter, you can terminate the current search by pressing [ESC]. You can also wait (approximately 1 second) for the current search to automatically terminate.

Regards,
                        Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                          In the 3.2 beta, you can use the "Find Filename" command which now behaves like find commands in other views. It will show a "text not found" message when appropriate.

Regards,
                          Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            If you haven't yet, check out the 3.2 beta. The Folder Compare's "Find Filename" command now behaves like find commands in other views (ex. Text Compare).
                            I've done a portable install, and tried the Folder View ctrl-F option, and I like how it works ... making appropriate use of the Find Next and Select All buttons, "^2" finds "2009 cost basis" and "20100722aa.jpg", like I want it to, and "ba" finds "2009 cost basis" and "bandb-acres", which is also a useful mode. Also, typing 'b' in the file list cycles through the b.* files like in Explorer.

In the 3.2 beta, the Folder Compare also has "incremental search" (find as you type). In order to go to the next item that starts with the same letter, you can terminate the current search by pressing [ESC]. You can also wait (approximately 1 second) for the current search to automatically terminate.
                            I didn't see an incremental search mode nor did I find a setting to turn it on. Could you direct me to it?

/dps
                            Last edited by snidely.too; 09-Aug-2010, 10:13 PM. Reason: added some explanation.

Comment

I didn't see an incremental search mode nor did I find a setting to turn it on.
                              I didn't see a true incremental search either.
                              BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Working...
                              X