Where's the hourglass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the hourglass?

I'm trialing BC3, planning to upgrade from BC2 (at long last!).

I've noticed with BC3 that during a folder comparison I can't see the little hourglass in between the two sides that BC2 displays to show me which file is currently being compared. I find this particularly useful as a guide when comparing folder structures with very large files that take a long time to compare.

Is there an option to switch this back on or is there another way of showing which file is currently being compared?

Thanks, Tim

There should be a flashing red circle with an through it (X) on the toolbar. This is a "stop loading" button that can be pressed to cancel the compare before it completes. The circle will continue to flash while the folders are being processed. Once the folders have loaded and the compare is complete, the circle will be grayed out on the toolbar. Does this help?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Michael,

Thanks, but unfortunately that doesn't help.

What I'm looking for is the hourglass that (in BC2) was placed next to each file as it was being compared (and was subsequently replaced by the result of the comparison: either a black equals sign or red not equals sign). See the attached screen shot for an example of what this looked like in BC2.

Tim
      Last edited by timcg; 13-Aug-2010, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the screenshot. It's been a while since I used BC2. I actually didn't remember an hourglass in that center column. I am guessing that I had BC2 configured with quick tests that completed so fast that I never saw the hourglass. I'll be interested to hear the Scooter team's feedback on your post.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately, the hourglass was one of the BC2 elements that was lost when the jobs subsystem was rewritten for BC3. I miss it also, and I plan on getting it back in some future release.
          Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Tim,

Thanks, it would be great to see the hourglass back!

Comment

Originally posted by timcg View Post
              Hi Tim,

Thanks, it would be great to see the hourglass back!
              +1!

What I do is run Sysinternal's Process Explorer. I have it set to "Show Lower Pane" in the "View" menu, and in "View/Lower Pane View" I have it set to "Handles".

Then, after clicking on BCompare.exe in the upper pane, I click on the "Name" column in the lower pane so that the two files being compared are shown at the top of the list.

[This is because my drive letters are typically well down the alphabet - M:, N:, P:, etc. - and nearly all of the other "handles" start with H, C:, B or \. So it's dead lucky that the two files being compared are alphabetically at the end/beginning of the list.]

So, Tim, you see how much I miss that little hour glass!

Comment

Hi -

I just wanted to add my vote to have the hourglass reinstated.

I found this thread when I was looking to see why I couldn't find a way to turn it on

--- tom

Comment

Thanks. I've added some notes to help bump this request.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                  X