Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only compare contents on files copied in this session

Hello,

first off I'd like to thank you for this nice piece of software. I bought a single license and am very happy with what it does for me backing up all my media files at home and at the same time mirroring my work files to always have them available on a USB stick and be able to work on my laptop at home. For this second task I'm trying to replace the MS SyncToy 2.1 with BC3.

Now, to the question: I used the search function but couldn't find an answer fast enough.

-->
    I don't feel like waiting for BC3 to check the contents of ALL my files every single time I sync my work files (2 times a day at work and 2 times a day at home) just to be sure that what has been copied over in the current session isn't corrupted.

What I'd really like to have is the possibility to do the fast check, show me what files now have to be copied over, then when I press the AutoSync button to copy them over and only check their contents (let's say a binary check).

I don't need to check contents of all files that haven't been copied over in this current session because they have already been checked in previous ones. I'd like to check if the ones that I copied NOW have been transferred without errors.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks for the suggestion. Content comparison (binary, CRC, or rules-based) of only files that are copied is on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.

Right now you'll either have to set content comparison for all files in Session > Session Settings, or select files to compare and use the Actions > Compare Contents command.

If the new files always have new modified dates, you could set a date filter to only show you files modified in the last 7 days, then set binary comparison criteria in Session > Session Settings. This way you won't recompare old files that haven't been modified for a while. However, if you ever copy new files into your work files folders that have older modified dates, this could cause you to miss those files.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

You can also try turning on the "Skip if quick tests indicate files are the same" option on the "Comparison" tab of the Session settings. When that's active it will only compare files if the size or timestamp is different, which would give similar behavior to what you're looking for.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you for the fast and thorough response.

Although none of the options listed above is optimal, I just might try some of them.

Especially the one with the date filter. Will have to do two comparisons: the very first should be a normal fast one only to verify that all files that are going to be copied have current dates, which is almost always the case (and/or to note which of those have older dates), then manually compare content (e.g. binary) on all new files after the sync - which won't be many.

Thanks for the help! This will totally work for me till the new version comes out .

Comment

Thanks, dieselpower.

I'll add your notes to our Customer Wishlist. Please note that our wishlist is not scheduled development, but a place our developers go for ideas for future enhancements or features.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            Thanks, dieselpower.

I'll add your notes to our Customer Wishlist. Please note that our wishlist is not scheduled development, but a place our developers go for ideas for future enhancements or features.
            You've probably guessed that as a group, we are often interested in hearing when something on the wishlist does move from there to development and production.

/dps

Comment

We've discussed opening up the bug/feature tracker, but it doesn't look like that's realistic. There are a lot of proprietary things in there that customers have shared with us, and cleaning all of that up would be a bear of a job.

For now, the best way to keep up is to take part in the betas and read the changelogs.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
              X