Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excluding binary files from a comparison

Hi,

Is it possible to tell BC to exclude binaries (e.g. elf) from a comparison ? They appear with the "binary" icon in the list so BC is able to distinguish between them and plain text. I have a lot of these binaries that I need to manually ignore every time. Unfortunately there's no extension or regular naming rule for these files so I would need an exclusion based on file type.

Thanks

The "binary" icon indicates that the files were compared using a binary (bit by bit) compare. It does not indicate that the file is a binary file. Nevertheless, you can omit files with equality by using the "Show Differences" option on the toolbar or the View menu.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Hi inad,

Beyond Compare doesn't support scanning file contents to determine if they are binary or text, then filtering based on binary or text.

You can filter based on comparison results as described by Michael, or by name, date, etc in the "Name Filters" and "Other Filters" tabs of "Session > Session Settings".
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Hi inad,

Beyond Compare doesn't support scanning file contents to determine if they are binary or text, then filtering based on binary or text.

You can filter based on comparison results as described by Michael, or by name, date, etc in the "Name Filters" and "Other Filters" tabs of "Session > Session Settings".
        I wonder if inad is running on a Linux system. If so, would BC3 be able to use stat features to leverage the OS's magic number support?

/dps

Comment

Working...
        X