Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compared folders based on size - even if names are different

Is it possible ?
    I just encountered a situation when it's useful : scrapbook FF extension saves data in subfolders of a data\ folder with names like 201011301834 (date time) and exports data in the form of "title of page captured". Apparently this fails for some pages and having to compare 1586 folders by hand isn't my cup of tea
    So, is there a way of telling BC to compare two lists of folders considering 2 folders identical if their contents are identical (size or\and CRC of contents) - ignoring the [s]filenames[/s] foldernames ?

Thanks

EDIT : please edit the title to read : compare folders based on size - even if names are different
    Last edited by Mr_and_Mrs_D; 26-Dec-2010, 09:48 AM.

Hello,

Beyond Compare 3 does not compare folder size, but compares the files within folders and colors the folders correspondingly with the info inside. There are a couple of ways to tackle your current situation:

1) Use BC3 Pro's feature Alignment Overrides. This can be used to align folders of different names based on logical rules, such as (1 - * = *; or a classic file example of *.jpg = *.png).

2) Use BC3's feature Ignore Folder Structure to remove all folders and show only files. This will align based only on file name, instead of folder structure and file name. However, this requires that all of your files have unique names since the alignment happens before the comparison. If there are two Readme.txt files on the left, and three Readme.txt on the right, then BC3 may not align them as expected and may need to be manually overridden.

3) Set your base folders so that the inner contents match (or use Alignment Overrides). Cut your comparison into a couple of smaller comparisons, and use different base folders where the contents inside match up.

How do these suggestions work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks
      Will check it out and post back

Still : 1) hmmm - this may do it - do not quite get 1 - * = *
      2) no way - tried this - 1586 folders containing many identical files (same filename)
      3) again unfeasible for huge number of folders - different folder names and mostly identical contents

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_and_Mrs_D View Post
        I just encountered a situation when it's useful : scrapbook FF extension saves data in subfolders of a data\ folder with names like 201011301834 (date time) and exports data in the form of "title of page captured". Apparently this fails for some pages and having to compare 1586 folders by hand isn't my cup of tea
        I installed scrapbook but find no option to export more than one archieved page at the time.
        How did you archive 1586 pages and exported them using scrapbook? By hand I assume this lasted long time.

Do the data change a lot or is this just a (nearly) constant collection?

In this case I suggest following:
        1. Assign a single key to "Align With"-Action (I tried Num-'+')
        2. Set your Display Filers to 'Show Differences' and 'Only Compare Files'
        3. Load the base folders scanning all subfolders
        4. Sort by size (click on size column)
        5. Select first line (both sides by clicking middle column)
        6. Repeat pressing '+' 'DOWN' '+' for every pair of folders.
        7. Save the session frequently while aligning to prevent loss of your work by power down or something else

After step 6 every equal pair of folders will instantly disappear from display.

Don't know about your data but to split into smaller comparisions I would use date filters.

@Scooter: After aligning two files/folders the selection goes back to the first line. This is unhandy with 'Show Same' and/or 'Always Show Folders'. It has to be remembered to continue selecting/aligning with the next pair of folders.

Greetings Lutz
        Last edited by Lutz; 29-Dec-2010, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lutz View Post
          I installed scrapbook but find no option to export more than one archieved page at the time.
          How did you archive 1586 pages and exported them using scrapbook? By hand I assume this lasted long time.
          Manage > import export pane > select all > export
          no - I wouldn't export 1500 files by hand lolol
          Do the data change a lot or is this just a (nearly) constant collection?

In this case I suggest following:
          1. Assign a single key to "Align With"-Action (I tried Num-'+')
          2. Set your Display Filers to 'Show Differences' and 'Only Compare Files'
          3. Load the base folders scanning all subfolders
          4. Sort by size (click on size column)
          5. Select first line (both sides by clicking middle column)
          6. Repeat pressing '+' 'DOWN' '+' for every pair of folders.
          7. Save the session frequently while aligning to prevent loss of your work by power down or something else

After step 6 every equal pair of folders will instantly disappear from display.

Don't know about your data but to split into smaller comparisions I would use date filters.

@Scooter: After aligning two files/folders the selection goes back to the first line. This is unhandy with 'Show Same' and/or 'Always Show Folders'. It has to be remembered to continue selecting/aligning with the next pair of folders.

Greetings Lutz
          Only compare files shows folders ?
          Anyway thanks - but yes collection varies - there must be a way to ignore name - strange as it may sound it will come immensely handy in many situations
          This Alignment Overrides is not available in the trial ?
          Last edited by Mr_and_Mrs_D; 29-Dec-2010, 06:28 AM.

Comment

> there must be a way to ignore name

You'd think so. FC lets you ignore time and size so it ought to name too. Bot no way I've found, and actually BC is moving backward in this area - since V3 you can no longer ignore extension.

Comment

Manage > import export pane > select all > export
              THX
              no - I wouldn't export 1500 files by hand lolol
              I haven't expected, but how did you collect the pages in the scrapbook/data folder?
              Only compare files shows folders ?
              Yes, all folders containing files to display. Folders without files to display (suppressed by any filter) are suppressed also.
              Anyway thanks - but yes collection varies - there must be a way to ignore name - strange as it may sound it will come immensely handy in many situations
              I don't believe that all 1500 folders vary permanently. If so you only have to do the work once and then save the session with all alignments.
              Changed or new foldernames will appear as orphan folders on a subsequent load of the saved session, wich you can update then.
              This Alignment Overrides is not available in the trial ?
              It is available if you enable pro features (under help/about I think) and you have to buy pro version if you want to use it.

Greetings Lutz

Comment

I haven't expected, but how did you collect the pages in the scrapbook/data folder?
                By hand (it is very easy over the course of 2-3 years)

It is available if you enable pro features (under help/about I think) and you have to buy pro version if you want to use it.
                Had enabled it - it is located in Filters > Misc
                Still not very useful in my case - tried the regex one after having aligned by size but to no avail

In short - please implement at least an alignment option by size
                Trying now to synchronize folders in different scrapbooks - exported as:
                Code:
                Scrapbook 1
                foldernameX	121,987 bytes
                foldernameX-1	122,758 bytes

Scrapbook 2
                foldernameX	122,758 bytes
                foldernameX-1	121,987 bytes
                they are identical but exported in different order - same foldername truncated and a number added - if they could be aligned by size they would disappear

Comment

D, in such situations I have resorted to renaming each file to its size.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                    D, in such situations I have resorted to renaming each file to its size.
                    There are 10nths (100ds) o'em
                    Plus each rename has to have 2 steps
                    No - there must be an automated way

BTW on Lutz's method - every time I align with the session refreshes - 7-11 mins - inoperable

Comment

> There are 10nths (100ds) o'em
                      > Plus each rename has to have 2 steps
                      > No - there must be an automated way

That rename can be automated e.g. using a batch renamer utility.

> BTW on Lutz's method - every time I align with the session refreshes -

I find long before the refresh completes there's enough of a display to set the next Align With...

> 7-11 mins - inoperable

I think the only thing that can much speed that is more memory. I suggest you check the OS virtual memory settings have pagefile size managed by system, and that you have available HD space.

Comment

I find long before the refresh completes there's enough of a display to set the next Align With...
                        Not in my case (100ds of identical folders already in there)

That rename can be automated e.g. using a batch renamer utility.
                        Well - my point is I should be able to do it in BC + No, I can't automate this cause I do not want to do it for all folders - do not want to break scrapbooks names - they are there for a reason - when I want to reimport 122987 won't say much

Please - any member of the staff (you can wait for next year ofc )

Comment

> my point is I should be able to do it in BC

Agreed. It seems a simple enhancement so perhaps we'll get it.

> + No, I can't automate this cause I do not want to do it for all
                          > folders - do not want to break scrapbooks names - they are there
                          > for a reason

I use a copy of the fileset.

If I'd needed to edit in BC, I'd have needed an unrenamer too.

Comment

I use a copy of the fileset.
                            Still I would compare the copy fine - and be left with the initial set unordered

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I've compiled them into our Customer Wishlist. We do not offer a way to do this currently.

Your comparison taking 7-11 minutes to regain responsiveness is a bit unexpected. As suggested, this may mean you are low on resources. How many top level folders do you currently need to align? One suggestion would be to align some of them as their own base folders. This would "fix" the alignment of that level, and would make the comparison smaller and more manageable. Does doing a smaller compare make the program more responsive for you?
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                              X