How to ignore reparse points in synchronization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ignore reparse points in synchronization

I am working on a corrupted Windows 10 system drive extracted from another computer, therefore I'm forcing access to certain folders to get a backup of some of the files. The problem is that I can't be sure I have all of the files because there are dozens of reparse points that are failing in BC4 (4.3.7). By failing, I mean that I'm getting errors like this:

5/31/2021 1:11:40 PM Unable to copy Y:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\M icrosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge .exe: The file cannot be accessed by the system

Windows tells me that this file is a reparse point. I assume the issue is related to the fact that I'm not logged in to Windows with any recognizable user for this drive (I have forced admin access). I obviously don't care if I get these reparse points in the backup, but I really want BC4 to ignore them in the sync, but I've searched everywhere and can't find a feature like this.

In the Filters dialog I do have "Follow symbolic links" unchecked, but I'm not sure if BC4 considers reparse points as symbolic links (or if it even identifies them at all). I also have "Exclude protected operating system files" checked. All of the reparse points that I'm having trouble with have zero-byte file lengths.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by sgartner; 31-May-2021, 03:11 PM.

Hello,

The Follow Symbolic Links option can optionally follow symbolic links, but hard links are always followed. If the Follow Symlink option is already disabled, but still following them, I'm guessing the style of link you have is the later.

The Filter for Protected Operating System Files is specific to the attributes System+Hidden, and does not capture links.

Are there any other attributes you could catch? Or if you are reviewing small enough batches, once you find the problem files and are done with that folder, you could select them, right-click, and Exclude them (creating a Name filter).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X