Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source to target without deleting lost data from source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source to target without deleting lost data from source?

I've been using the automated script from
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...zz=kb_schedule
    to make backups from drive to drive easier.

BUT- I've found an opportunity to save my team some grief in making simple backups from our media server in case files are deleted or lost.

I discovered the script deletes data within the target folder if the source folder is empty. I want to preserve the target data. I believe this is what I need to modify to make the script work as I need it.

#Make the target identical to the source
    #includes deleting files that only exist on the target side
    sync mirror:lt->rt

Full disclosure: Last programming I had was in college and that was 20 years ago. Please dumb it down so I can wrap me head around it! Thanks!!

Hello,

The quick method would be to use sync update:left->right instead of sync mirror.

Mirror's sync logic will copy: Newer, Older, Different, and Orphan files from the left to the right, and delete orphans on the right

Update's sync logic will copy: Newer, Orphan files, and not delete anything on the right.

Older files are files that have an older timestamp on the left than they do on the right, so the destination file is actually a newer file. Different is a status used when two files have different sizes, but have the same timestamp somehow. In both these cases, update would not copy the files, allowing you to go back and review the comparison. Would this be ideal?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

That seems to be the answer I needed.
      sync update:lt->rt is leaving the folder as-is.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Comment

Excellent.

If you ever need to customize the logic, you can use a combination of the Expand All command, Select command, followed by the copy command. This would select only specific files you want to copy, then copy them.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X