Another timestamp issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another timestamp issue

Recently, I have started to see that all FTP uploads which overwrite an existing file get a timestamp of the current date and time. Uploads where the file does not already exist at the destination get the correct 'Preserve timestamps on upload'. I thought at first that this was a bug in the beta, but the same happens when I revert to the latest build of 3.1.

This is only happening at one FTP upload site (I have not tried any other yet), and I suppose it could be a change at their end (I am asking them). But if so, and if it cannot be fixed, it would be nice to have a tweak in BC which does a 'delete target then upload'. It is very important to preserve the file times, and almost always there is an existing file when I upload.

If it is not caused at the FTP site, what could be the problem?

Timestamp behavior is usually specific to the FTP server software. If the server had the FTP server updated recently or if it was changed to different FTP server software that might explain the change in behavior.

As a workaround you can try the "Actions > Touch" command to copy timestamps after the files are uploaded.

Please ask the person responsible for the FTP server what FTP software the server is running, including the version and that might help us repeat the problem on a test server.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I don't know what FTP server they are using, but they have confirmed that they have recently moved the FTP site to a new share. And your suggestion to copy the timestamp fails with "553 cannot change date/time".

I did find from another FTP client (SmartFTP) that the Creation Time of the file on the server correctly shows the same time as the local file (modification) time, whereas the Modification Time is the upload date/time. We may be able to get the server fixed by moving the site again, but can you please record a 'feature request' to add Creation Time to the available columns in BC? But of course the snag with this is that we would need the Modification Time on the local side and the Creation Time on the FTP side to get a useful result, so perhaps it should be described as an FTP tweak only, to show creation time in the modification column.

Comment

Open the tweaks dialog (Ctrl+Shift+T) and turn on the "Include debug messages in log" option from the "Folder Views" tab, then refresh the directory listing and post the resulting log here. Creation date isn't normally available in the FTP information we recieve, so I can't consider it without that.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

This particular server is Serv-U FTP Server v6.4 and does have creation date available:

FEAT
          211-Extension supported
          CLNT
          MDTM
          MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ];filename
          SIZE
          SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG
          REST STREAM
          XCRC filename;start;end
          MODE Z
          MLST Type*;Size*;Create;Modify*;Win32.ea*;
          211 End

And SmartFTP asks for the Creation date:

OPTS MLST Type;Size;Create;Modify;Win32.ea;
          200 MLST OPTS Type;Size;Create;Modify;Win32.ea;

However I am going to withdraw my feature request because it has occurred to me that it only makes it easier for me to update the site, and leaves everyone else seeing different (modification) dates to those that I see, which would be even worse. So we are going to have to 'delete + upload' until the server can be sorted. Incidentally this server does sometimes manage to update the time on upload over an existing file, but only occasionally, and without any visible reason.

Thanks for looking into this, anyway.

Comment

Hello,

Another thing to try would be the trial of the latest server software. ServU appears to be up to version 10, which may have some fixes in this area, and has a trial available.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X