FreeArc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeArc

Okay, I know there's already a thread about this, but I tried everything and it still doesn't work. Has anybody ever succeeded comparing files inside *.arc archives?
    All I can get is list of files, but when comparing it says "unknown error occurred"

Hello,

Have you tried with the latest release of our BC4 beta? We've updated our archive handling. As a beta, I recommend testing it with already backed up files and not live data:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta.php
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

@Aaron

em, no...... I didn't even know there was a beta.... I'm off to try it right now

Comment

Okay, first of all there's no 'Compare' button on the toolbar o.O Why? Second of all, when I try to compare something using the right-click Explorer menu I get a message "Error. Operation completed successfully" whatever that means.

Concerning my topic, no FreeArc archives cannot be compared. I've installed MultiArc correctly, and all I can get is just file listing, when I try to campare files, BC says 'Unknown Error (27)'. I'm actively using FreeArc and having a means of comparing arc archives would be really nice.....

Comment

Hello,

Not by default, but you can go to the Options dialog, Toolbars,etc, select the Folder View from the dropdown, then search for Compare Contents and check to add it back to the toolbar.

I double checked 7zip and it does not appear to support .arc files. Since a lot of our extra archive handling is using an updated 7zip helper, we do not have native .arc support in BC4.

As you've found, you can use TotalCommander plug-ins to help. MultiArc was last updated in 2007, but the last update to FreeArc is 2010. Installing TotalCommander and MultiArc, it does not appear MultiArc supports expanding archives with the 'newer' builds of FreeArc. If this doesn't work in TotalCommander, it is also unlikely to work in BC3/4. We would need a TotalCommander plug-in that works, at which point, we would also be able to use that plug-in. Do you see the same TotalCommander issue testing with your files?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            As you've found, you can use TotalCommander plug-ins to help. MultiArc was last updated in 2007, but the last update to FreeArc is 2010. Installing TotalCommander and MultiArc, it does not appear MultiArc supports expanding archives with the 'newer' builds of FreeArc.
            Funny thing. Never thought of this. Will try an older build.

...If this doesn't work in TotalCommander, it is also unlikely to work in BC3/4. We would need a TotalCommander plug-in that works, at which point, we would also be able to use that plug-in.
            Sadly, I haven't come across any other plugin with FreeArc support. I think I'll have to ask around at FreeArc/TC forums too about this issue.

...Do you see the same TotalCommander issue testing with your files?
            Never really used TC for any other purpose other than to view. My mistake.

So, what about the Explorer Menu issue in BC4? I think, for a beta, it's OK, but anyway....

Comment

Hello,

Sorry, I missed the part about Explorer among the other notes. This is if you open Windows Explorer, right-click on a pair of files, then select "Compare"? Could we get a screenshot of the error?

And, have you rebooted since installing BC4? Shell extension changes can only be applied on a reboot.

What files are you selecting to compare? If you try to compare two simple notepad .txt files on your user's Desktop\ do you still see the same error?
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
              X