Missing Files from folders while folder structure intact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Files from folders while folder structure intact

Hey guys I have a weird one. I was doing a disk migration. After migrating, I noticed that some of the files missing from folders on both sides, but all the folders were there (just missing files within). Now I am not saying this was something beyond compare did as it was a messy migration with many disks and using other software with files archived to tape. My question is just if anyone has ever seen this behavior in Beyond Compare. I tried to reproduce the behavior in test, but i haven't found any way to reproduce removing files and leaving the folder structure intact so I don't think its an issue with this software. I believe files initially weren't archived back from tape properly and this was just copied over with BC, but wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts as to whether or not this could even be reproduced with BC. Thanks!

Hello,

Is it possible that during the initial migration a file name filter (or other filter) was in place that excluded the files? For example, we exclude protected operating system files by default (System and Hidden attributes enabled).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

It's possible but these were not system files. Also if this was the case, seems like they would still be in the source.

Comment

Sorry, I missed the fact that they were completely missing from the source. If the filter was still enabled, they would appear to 'be empty' on both sides, but if the filter was disabled or if viewed from outside BC3 that would verify they are actually empty.

Were you performing any 'Move' operations? If combined with an error of some sort, that could theoretically account for lost information. Our normal sync operations perform a Copy, however, and wouldn't delete information in the source.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X