Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Functionality lost in BC3 - how to get it back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Functionality lost in BC3 - how to get it back?

Hi Scooter team,

In general BC3 looks great as well as the new site layout ( nice work guys! ) but there are two things in BC3 which were great in BC2 and now I cannot find a way to get it back:

- One of the main differentiating points of BC to the competitors for me was the ease of editing the whole lines. I could just select a line, hit delete which would delete the line. Very convenient while mergin files. With the new in-place editing it is not longer possible. The perfect solution for me would the mode when it works as it used to in BC2 until I press enter which would change mode to in-place lines edit. Similar to what was happening in BC2 but now instead of editing a single line it would be editing the whole file. This would just rock!

- In BC2 after I made some change to the line and hit ctrl+s the file was recompared automatically - great stuff. Now I have to hit reload button

Is there a way to restore this behavior? If not then please consider adding such possibility.

Thanks,
    Max

1) I don't understand; selecting the line and hitting delete still works. You select a whole like by placing the mouse cursor at the edge the gutter (mouse turns into an arrow) and clicking. It might be nice if triple-click selected a line (like Word) since

2) Try doing it in the reverse order: hit F5 and it will ask if you want to save, then recompare. I do that all the time.

Comment

1) You can disable "Full Edit" (F2) to get BC2's behavior for line selection and deletion. <Enter> doesn't currently trigger line edit mode; Erik would have to chime in as to why that is.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

You can also select Session -> Recompare Files which will realign the files without requiring you to save them.
        Erik Scooter Software

Comment

1. Craig - thanks for the F2 tip - that's what I needed! Problem solved.
          Michael - I usually operate BC with keyboard only, so clicking the edge is no good for me.

2. I don't see a reason why it doesn't recompare automatically like it used to. But, yes I could get used to some other way of doing what I want to do.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Max View Post
            2. I don't see a reason why it doesn't recompare automatically like it used to. But, yes I could get used to some other way of doing what I want to do.
            BC2 reloads the files after a save. We can't do this in BC3 because it would prevent undo after save from working. Also, it is not necessary in BC3 and avoiding this expensive operation can be a plus.

For now, you can select Session -> Recompare Files after you save. It will not prevent undo after save like Reload Files does. We'll consider adding a "Recompare files" option to the Text Format's "When saving" group on the "Conversion" page that will automatically do this.
            Erik Scooter Software

Comment

In BC2, <enter> would both enter and exit line edit mode. In BC3, line edits act upon <enter>, inserting a line break.
              Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
              X