Tab Order - Option Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tab Order - Option Request

Please consider adding a configurable option to insert new tabs at the beginning of the tabbed control instead of appending them to the end of the tabbed control.

This be most beneficial when launching multiple sessions from the command line. It would allow a user to work through the sessions without having to figure out where the associated tab lies on the tab control. Work with first session (first tab) close it. Next tab opens. The active tab would always be the first tab because the first tab would always be at the top of the stack.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Scooter - Still awaiting your thoughts on this...
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Could you clarify your example, Michael? This is using BComp from the command line, correct? New tabs are added to the end of the tab control, so the user should always know to look-in, scroll in that direction.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

When I first wrote this wishlist item, I was opening and reviewing text compares in dozens of tabs. When the tab control fills up, new tabs placed on the end of the control are not even visible, and there are those scroll arrows that overlay and obscure the right end of the tab control. It is awkward to not see your active tab. When you close one tab, you cannot see the next tab getting focus. When you close enough of the tabs, the active tab moves across the tab control from right to left as you close each one. The changing position means that you have to spend more time locating the tab before interacting with it.

If there were an option to have new tabs inserted at the start of the tab control, then the active tab would always be visible. It would always be in the same place (left-most on the tab control). It would be quicker to close each tab with the [x] when done with it, and the next tab on the stack would simply replace the prior one in the exact same position on the screen. To me, that would be a big improvement when working with larger numbers of sessions.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          the user should always know to look-in, scroll in that direction.
          In other words, why make the user scroll the tab control if you don't have to? It is a waste of time and productivity. Call me lazy if you like... but I hate having to do it.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
          X