Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons for having a separate Folder Sync?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons for having a separate Folder Sync?

I did a search looking to see if this question had been answered before. In BC2, both the folder comparisons and synchronization were done from the same GUI. In BC3, these functions were separated into there own distinct GUIs. I was just wondering what the motivation was for doing this? In BC3, it seems like the only difference between the 2 GUIs is that the bi-directional sync button is not available in the compare and the ability to copy/move specific files is missing in the sync. It seemed much cleaner to have both of the functions together since there are so few differences. Also, there are times in a Sync session where you want Compare functionality and vice versa. The only way to accomplish this in BC3 is to open an additional session. I'm not able to see the benefit of breaking out these two functions. Can someone help me understand the reason for separating them?

Please don't misunderstand my intentions. I love BC and have been using it daily for quite some time. I'm just trying to figure out why the functions were split and if I'm overlooking the major benefit of doing so.

Xavier

We have a few reasons for breaking it out. Here are some of the benefits:

Before, Sync settings were global options. Now they can be set on a per session basis.
    When you clicked the toolbar buttons before, you were greeted with a Preview dialog. If anything needed to be changed you had to cancel the dialog. The new session is similar to this dialog, expect it is more powerful and can be changed and refreshed.

You can launch a Sync Session from a Folder Compare from the Sesison menu -> Sync base folders in New View.

We still provide Synchronization tools in the Folder Compare that act on either the current selection, or behave similarly to the old buttons.

Which compare functionality do you find you are looking for after you have started a Sync Session?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The functionality I find I am looking for after initiating a Sync Session is the ability to easily copy/move individual or selected files from one side to the other. The functionality I find I am looking for after initiating a Compare Session is the ability to bi-directionally sync if I choose to. I usually am looking for this ability after I have manually copied/moved files and want to quickly sync the rest of the files. Currently, I can do a sync-left and then a sync-right. This seems so unnecessary. Also, a toolbar and/or context menu with this additional functionality would be nice in the Sync Session. I guess what I'm really saying is that it would be nice to have all of the Sync functionality in the Compare session and all of the Compare functionality in the Sync session. Even if you were to bury the additional functionality in the menu, context menu, or toolbar it still would be appreciated and useful. If this was done, one could launch the most appropriate session to accomplish the primary goal but still have the functionality to tweak the listed files if necessary.

Comment

The primary reason the sync session was split out is so we could simplify the interface and make it easier to do repetitive, automated syncs. If/when we add things like scheduled syncs, that's where it would be available. For that reason we're not planning on adding any of the comparison's more interactive commands, like copy/move/etc to it.

The mirror left/right and update left/right commands are available in the directory compare, in the Actions->Synchronize submenu. We purposely left out bidirectional sync because it can't track deletes or changes made to both sides, which is something that we eventually want to support in the dedicated sync session.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
          We purposely left out bidirectional sync because it can't track deletes or changes made to both sides, which is something that we eventually want to support in the dedicated sync session.
          That is a pity as that is the function I use most often.
          I usually want to combine files from 2 sources so both have the most current files.
          I do this by scanning through the folder compare, deleting any obsolete files. Then do a bidirectional update to synchronise both sources. Worked very well in BC2.

If I manually copy in in one direction at a time am I not at risk of over writing a new file with an older version (precisely what I use BC to avoid).
          I think it is time to revert back to BC2.

Seams a backward step to me.
          The fact some GUI commands are not readily implemented in a scripted environment is not a reason to remove them from the GUI, just leave them out of the script interface.

The script and GUI will inevitably have different strengths and weaknesses. A lowest common denominator interface will only ensure neither is done well.

Comment

Perhaps we weren't clear, but we didn't move bidirectional sync from GUI to script. It's in the (GUI) Folder Sync session type.
            Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Perhaps we weren't clear, but we didn't move bidirectional sync from GUI to script. It's in the (GUI) Folder Sync session type.
              That is great new

But when I look in the menu
              Actions --> Synchronize -->
              I see, Update left..., update right..., Mirror to left..., Mirror to right...
              No "Bidirectional update <->"
              Am I looking in the wrong place?
              IF the GUI Bidirectional update was really just a Update left + update right, why not have a built-in script which is just that? That way the GUI can maintain the same functionality and the script interface can be clean also.

Comment

Bidirectional Sync is one of the sync types available in the Folder Sync Sessions (instead of Folder Compare). This can be launched from the home screen, or from a Folder Compare via the Session menu -> Sync base folders in new view.

Then use the drop down to go the Bidirectional Sync, or the Session Settings -> Sync tab.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thankyou. I had not noticed the separate synchronisation type session

Not sure I understand the logic of having in folder compare with
                  synch left,synch right, mirror left, mirror right, but no bidirectional synch

Or a separate folder synchronisation sesion with
                  bidirectional synch and synch left,synch right, mirror left, mirror right
                  but with otherwise a much simplified (reduced capability) interface

Perhaps the value of the alternative sessions will become evident with time

The primary reason the sync session was split out is so we could simplify the interface and make it easier to do repetitive, automated syncs. If/when we add things like scheduled syncs, that's where it would be available. For that reason we're not planning on adding any of the comparison's more interactive commands, like copy/move/etc to it.
                  OK this makes some sense

The mirror left/right and update left/right commands are available in the directory compare, in the Actions->Synchronize submenu. We purposely left out bidirectional sync because it can't track deletes or changes made to both sides, which is something that we eventually want to support in the dedicated sync session.
                  Here you have lost me.
                  I don't follow your logic why bidirectional compare should not also be in folder compare. Surely it fits in with the other interactive features, which are not readily scripted.

Guess I must be missing some point.
                  Last edited by patch; 24-Sep-2008, 09:37 AM.

Comment

We will be putting Bidirectional Sync back into Folder Compare as an optional menu/toolbar command.
                    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

I agree with TheXMan about the separation of the sync and the other interactive copy, move, and mirror commands. I see your reasoning for splitting the sync session out, but what is the harm with providing the copy, move, and mirror commands on the context menu or toolbar in the sync session for those of us that have use for them? They don't seem inconsistent with what you have planned for the new sync session.

Just my 2 cents.

Habanero

Comment

As Tim said, we're adding bidirectional sync back as a command to the folder comparison view. The "Folder Sync" session is designed so it can be set up as an easy, automatic synchronization, without any additional interaction from the user. Adding additional commands so you can manually copy/move/delete/touch/whatever one at a time is entirely contrary to the intended direction of that interface. That's what full-fledged folder compare view is for.
                        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          We will be putting Bidirectional Sync back into Folder Compare as an optional menu/toolbar command.
                          Thank you

I appreciate having the bidirectional Sync and full compare functionality available while I partly manually synchronise folders.

Comment

Working...
                          X