feature suggestions: desktop shortcuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feature suggestions: desktop shortcuts

I see all the scripting features and how I could create .bat files that do basic tasks like open Beyond compare to a saved session, perform a particular folder synch, etc.

I haven't quite spent the time to write a .bat yet though. I can guess others put this learning step off also. It would be really cool if there was a "Save as desktop shortcut" feature or "mini app" or whatever you want to call it. The result would be a .bat or something that could perform the desired simple steps. The two obvious ones I can think of are.
    - Synch this folder with that according to the rules defined in this session.
    - Open BC to this session

Or even the ability to save "droplets" that you could drop two folders on, and a synch would be performed according to a particular sessions rules.

Basically some UI features that would help set up basic scripting tasks.
    Or, maybe I am missing something, do some of these types of features already exist? I could find them.

Thanks
    Fred

Hi Fred,

We've discussed simplifying creating scripts and automating syncs, but we haven't done anything like that yet. You can save a directory compare session with all of the comparison settings and filters you want, and load that from a script, but that's it so far.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello Fred,
      some of your ideas are already possible using windows.

Have a look at this:
      Originally posted by Lutz View Post
      Hello,
      here is a hint for running scripts:
      I store my BC-scripts as files with the extension 'bcs'.
      As I configured Windows to open 'bcs' files with the open-command '"D:\Programme\BC2\BC2.exe" "@%1"' I can start BC-scripts with just double-clicking an 'bcs'-file or an shortcut to one.
      Originally posted by fredc View Post
      - Synch this folder with that according to the rules defined in this session
      Or even the ability to save "droplets" that you could drop two folders on, and a synch would be performed according to a particular sessions rules.
      Using the arguments %1 and %2 in the 'bcs'-file above would allow you to drag two folders on a shortcut (on desktop/quick launch/send to) to the 'bcs'-file which performs its task with the two dropped base folders.

Originally posted by fredc View Post
      - Open BC to this session
      This is already possible:
      1. Copy the name of a saved session to the clipboard.
      1. Copy the quick launch- or desktop-shortcut to BC to any place.
      2. Rename the copied shortcut to the name of the saved session (paste).
      3. Open the shortcut-properties and add a space and paste the session name.

Greetings Lutz

Comment

Nice idea. Meanwhile, I haven't used the BC3 documents or help for awhile (seem to use core features most frequently)-- are all these great capabilities being documented in reference form? I hope so.

Comment

Lutz suggestion isn't directly in the help file, but the command line is, under the section Using Beyond Compare -> Command Line and scripting.

He is then just making the command line call a specific short cut

Great suggestion, Lutz.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X