Lost files after move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost files after move

I'm running the latest version of BC3 Pro (checking today for updates said there were none). I moved about 12000 files from the left pane to the right pane (same drive, same root directory, different sub-directories) and all the files are gone, although BC says they were moved successfully. Has anyone else seen this?

Hi rondv5,

I haven't run into this problem before. Are you sure the files are missing and not just filtered out of the display? To turn off all filters, select View > Suppress Filters from the menu.

Did you get any error dialogs or errors in BC's log when you moved the files?

Are the files on a local or network drive?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Did you move or copy the files? If you were viewing orphans and copied the files, then the files would no longer be orphans once they exist on both sides of the compare and would disappear out of the list.

Likewise, if you were viewing left orphans only, and moved the files to the right side, they would dissappear from the list because they are now right orphans instead of left orphans.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

No, they were gone. Looks like the Move functionality took the source list, and then proceeded to move the files but they went to a bit bucket and when it thought the files were moved, it of course deleted the sources. This is where I found them again and was able to restore them with RStudio. No trace of them before that in the Recycle Bin. I'm on Vista Ultimate, 32-bit, patched to the latest.

I've not yet tried to replicate the issue, as you can imagine I am trying to make sure I have some copies before I try it again :-).

I believe I was running a few moves at the same time, but not on the same directories at once. Will try again next week and see if the same happens again (this time on copies :-) ).

Comment

That certainly is peculiar. I have done countless copies with BC3 and never lost a file except for a context menu mirror sync that went south (mirrored the entire directory instead of just the selected file...thus overlaying a bunch of files and wiping out a bunch of orphans on the other side of the compare). I don't move files that often, and don't have Vista, so your scenario is a little different...
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Scooter - I actually need to report that something similar happened to me today.

I was comparing files on a remote computer with the same folder structure on the local machine. I expanded two subfolders, filtered for different and left orphan files only, selected the orphan and newer files on the remote machine, and chose the copy to right option from the context menu. The progress bar started its thing and counted up through the 1800+ files.

The files dissappeard out of the left hand pane as the copy progressed. When the copy finished, the folders did not dissappear from the left-hand side. I checked my folder filter to see if I had "always show folders" enabled. I did not. I clicked the refresh button to see if the folders would dissappear... they did not. I clicked the expand button again, and all the orphan files re-appeared on the left hand side. The files did not exist on the right-hand side. If it had been a move, I am certain that the files would be gone.

I set up the copy again, this time things worked like a charm. The progress bar and the count of 1800+ files looked the same, but this time the folders dissappeared from the left-hand side as the copy progressed. After the copy complete, I changed my toggle filters and was able to see the copied files on the right-hand side.

In short, I don't know how to repro the first attempt. I don't know where the copied files went. I do know that I changed my base folders to one level deeper on the second try. Although they did not contain any of the files I selected for copying, there were some system folders at the original base level that BC3 did not have access to.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
            X