Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Copy to corresponding directory on other side

Hi,

Please see attached image first. I have the Folder-Compare view opened with "Ignore Folder Structure" toggle button pressed.
    Now, I want to copylog4j-conf-apicmem1.xml to right side. Now as you can see the file is in log directory on the left side but when I try to copy it to right side it copies to current directory & not to corresponding logdirectory on the other side (which is desirable in most conditions). Can we have one option asking for this possibility that whether to have the same structure on the other side while copying/moving, also it should create the structure if not existing already.
    Let me know if we already have some tweak option achieving this. Thanks !

Forgot to add the image. Attached.

Comment

My 2¢. I agree that it would be nice to have a toggle to allow file and folder creation when copying files in a flattened folder state.

I also acknowlege the usefulness of the current fuctionality which allows users to use flattened folders to locate files in unknown locations and make a copy of them in a common root folder.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

NeOnD and Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions. A prompt for the path (copy to base folder or preserve relative path) when using flatten folders is on our todo list for an upcoming version.

The prompt might also allow you to copy to the path it is aligned with on the other side or browse for a path. We would probably also include a "don't prompt again" check box for those who don't want a prompt showing when they copy using "ignore folder structure".

For those of you monitoring this thread, please let us know what you think of this idea, or how you would prefer copies are handled when "ignore folder structure" is on.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't want a prompt every time. I would rather have session settings:

Flattened Folder operations:
          ○ Copy/Move to root
          ○ Copy/Move to aligned path
          ○ Prompt
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Sorry, I'm new here and hate to drag up an old thread, but I couldnt find any more recent that was covering this topic as well.

I'm using 3.1.4 Pro, and just switched from *cough* WinMerge. Now I'm hitting this same issue. I'm used to using folder flattening so I can see all differences immediately and can quickly walk through them, either merging or copying.

Now, with BC, I'm seeing that when I copy a new file to the other side it still goes into the root!! Is there an option yet in the product to put it in the corresponding folder?

99% of the time I'm comparing two identical folder structures, and just need to copy from folder1/folder2/folder3/newfile to folderx/folder2/folder3/newfile. Right now it gets copied to folderx.

Comment

Two weeks and no reply? Am I realy not able to use flattened folders to see all changes at once, and copy missing files without them going to the wrong folder??

Please, this seems like a huge deficiency to me.

Comment

Hi James,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

In BC 3.1.5 copying a file or folder with "flatten folders" on will copy into the root of the target folder. If you want to copy to a different location, you'll need to use "Actions > Copy to Folder" to copy to an alternate location.

An option to change this behavior for the copy command is on our wish list.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                X