10721 Suggestion: Home list control width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10721 Suggestion: Home list control width

Fist let me say thanks for the excellent Home tab "Saved sessions" list - very useful and usable.

Suggestion: remove the 400-pixel width cap. I often need it wider (e.g. see the selected item below) and (like many other BC users I'd guess) have the screen width to accomodate it, e.g.

Last edited by chrisjj; 14-Sep-2009, 04:49 PM.

There's an invisible splitter between the treeview and the session page control. Just drag it as big as you want. BC will try to resize it down intelligently if it needs to.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks! Why is it invisible, I wonder...

I now find a second (invisible) splitter that lets the user choose how much space to waste on the right side Suggestion: use the solution of the Text, Data, Hex etc. Compare windows - the content fills the window width and a (visible)centre splitter satisfies the rare need for manual override.

Comment

There's one below the buttons under the page control too, in case you want to resize it vertically to make it taller.

They're invisible because we didn't want to clutter the Home view any more than necessary, and they don't resize to fill all available space because there was disagreement on whether that was a good thing. For a lot of BC users, the extra space would just be wasted, so it was argued that it's better to keep that wasted space all together on the right/bottom sides to make the buttons under the page control more centralized.

You can effectively get the "fill everything" view by dragging the splitters as far as they'll go, in the ratios that you want. It will try to maintain those relative sizes as the window gets smaller, and it only updates when you manually move them, so they'll scale back up if you make it larger again.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

> There's one below the buttons under the page control too, in case you
          > want to resize it vertically to make it taller.

Quite why anyone would not want it full height, I cannot fathom, but thanks - now fixed.

> it was argued that it's better to keep that wasted space all together on
          > the right/bottom sides to make the buttons under the page control more
          > centralized.

Well, all I'll say is I'm glad that design princple was not extended to dialog boxes

> You can effectively get the "fill everything" view by dragging the splitters
          > as far as they'll go

Now done.

> It will try to maintain those relative sizes as the window gets smaller

Not for the right pane, I find, but no problem here - that's the one I least use.

Suggestion for advertising: "Beyond Compare - now includes secret bonus game!"

Thanks Craig.

Comment

Working...
          X