Folder size not displayed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder size not displayed

I have upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate x64, and it runs like a charm. I am glad to be past the Vista era, especially the x64 kind. And now I can get of the soap box.

I have upgraded as well to BC3, and it also runs really well. I have none of the speed issues, but I do have one little issue with BC3.

On BC3 startup, the folder sizes do not display if the folders are not expanded. A quick expand-all, and collapse-all fixes this, but this should be added to your bug list for BC3 running on Win 7.

On the other hand, MANY THANKS for a great product (BC2 and now BC3). I use it often, and it's the MOST effective, and pleasant to use, productivity software that I know of.

Keep up the good work.
    Best Regards,
    Fritz Kiessling
    KDS Data Service Ltd.

Hi Fritz,

That's intentional behavior. BC doesn't visit folders until you tell it to, so it can't know the folder sizes. If you want to force it to visit the folders early open the Session Settings dialog, and turn on "Automatically scan subfolders in background" and "Automatically scan top-level orphan subfolders" on the "Handling" tab.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for your fast response, and advice. It works.
      Regards,
      Fritz Kiessling

Comment

Craig, I have tested a few scenarios, and understand better now how, and when the folder size info gets updated. In particular, when there is a "large" drive involved it can take some time (and no critisism of BC3, but 750GB takes a while).

However, this lets me ask if we could get a control that would allow us to manually request a folder size update?

If I have the autoupdate turned on it takes a long time because it does all the folders, if I have the autoupdate turned off I get nothing. I can do an expand-all, but that takes a long time. I can expand a folder with the double click and get an update on the folder size. But I can't get an update on the top folder until I have manually updated all the sub-subfolders sizes. This often is a lot of fiddling.

For your consideration, thanks.
        Regards,
        kdsdata

Comment

Right click a folder and select Open subfolders (the default action is Open folder).

Open subfolders should open all subfolders of that folder and compute the size of the top folder.

Is this the behavior you are looking for?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Arrrgggg... I probably only tried "Open folder"; that doesn't do the trick. But "Open subfolders" does exactly what I am looking for. Although it "opens" all the subfolders, which can get to be a long list, a double click (even while the recalc of the folder size takes place), and the small view is back. Perfect. OK, maybe you could add a "recalc" function to the tools or menu as a wish-list items. In the mean time, I am happy :-)

Thanks very much for your help.
            Regards,
            kdsdata

Comment

Working...
            X