Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover settings from backup?

Hello,
    I recently upgraded to Windows 7 via a clean install and neglected to export my BC3 settings while Vista was still running. I have the original drive converted for use as an USB drive so I'm wondering if there are just some files I can copy over and restore my BC3 sessions that way?
    Thank you,
    Peter

Hello,

Yes. We store the settings files in your users %AppData% directory. If you previous version of Windows was XP, this would be the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\ directory.

I would copy them to a 3rd location, instead of directly into your new AppData directory, back up your current settings, and then import them or copy them in. That way you have the old settings and new settings backed up before attempting to merge/import.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

It claims that the xml files are an incompatible format, and if I Export settings, it hangs forever on the Win7 import. Both the latest version updated today.

Comment

Hi Casner,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your forum post. If you send us a copy of the settings files you're having trouble importing we might be able to figure out why it isn't working. You can send the problem files to [email protected].
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I found my session settings in the backup of C:/users/jan/AppData/Roaming/Scooter Software/Beyond Compare 3/BCSessions.xml
          After copy and import, all session settings were restored. I imported also the FTP settings from BCFtpProfiles.xml and the previous state from BCState.xml.

Comment

Hello,

If you were on Vista or Win7, then %AppData% would point to c:\users\username\AppData\, and Roaming is part of the new structure as well. So, that sounds like you found your settings files and everything is working now?

If you are still running into any trouble, please let us know.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X