Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Feature Request: SCP & File Compare

Hello Scooter Engineering/Sales,

I saw your product in action, and I was very impressed with everything it can do. I've started to look into possibly purchasing it, but there are two items that would make it more useful to me, and thus, a slam dunk purchase. They are:

1) Are there any plans to support SCP? I use a lot of VMware, and VMware only supports SCP. I currently use WinSCP, but it's slow and isn't as functional as what you appear to have.

2) Your current file compare is quite powerful, but there's a different type of file compare that would be very helpful. I'd like to take 2 files and compare them, but, not sequential "line by line" as your product currently does it, but rather, a compare that matches if a line in file 1 is ANYWHERE in file 2, and visa versa. If the line is found, it would get "hidden" in the display, leaving only the lines which are unique in each file being displayed. This would be useful for checking various current configurations against past configurations.

Thank You very much, and I look forward to your thoughts on support for these features...or, at the very least, SCP.

Sincerely,

CiscoNut2B

Hi CiscoNut2B, welcome to the forum!

1) We support SFTP (SSH2), but not SCP (SSH1), and we don't currently have plans to change that. We use a third-party SSH library and they recommend SFTP instead, and have said they won't support SCP because it's outdated. We could probably add support for it ourselves, if there were demand, but it would take quite a bit of time, and AFAIK you're the first person to ask for it who couldn't switch to SFTP.

2) Detecting moved lines is on our feature request list, but we don't have any immediate plans for it, so I don't expect we'll have it in the next 12-18 months.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi!

My 2 Cents ...

1) Are there any plans to support SCP? I use a lot of VMware, and VMware only supports SCP.
      I also use VMware every day. When you use ESX3 servers then you can definitely use SFTP to connect to them and browse the datastore. Should be the same with ESX 3.5 and 4.
      With the ESXi servers it's not so convinient. SCP seems to be the only standard protocol. But there are ways to use FTP on ESXi:

http://vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_FTP.php

Haven't tried on my own, but seems to work ...

2) Your current file compare is quite powerful, but there's a different type of file compare that would be very helpful. I'd like to take 2 files and compare them, but, not sequential "line by line" as your product currently does it, but rather, a compare that matches if a line in file 1 is ANYWHERE in file 2, and visa versa. If the line is found, it would get "hidden" in the display, leaving only the lines which are unique in each file being displayed. This would be useful for checking various current configurations against past configurations.
      Here the "sorted" file-format may help. It sorts the file content in background without changing the original files. For more complex files there is also an additional format pack called "INI files sorted " on this page: http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...kb_moreformats

Hope this helps ...

Bye
      Christoph

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Christoph!

Also, if you have your own custom command line helper, you can add it into a custom rule in BC3, such as the example here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...rnalconversion
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

We have a VMWare ESX 3.5 server in our office, it definitely supports SFTP connections from BC3 Pro.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X