Network file copy speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network file copy speed

Copying files to a network location with BC3 is much slower than using Windows Explorer in both Vista & Windows 7.

I have seen similar behaviour in Directory Opus which (an excellent Windows Explorer replacement) which uses the standard Windows file copying API rather than the Windows Shell API. However in Directory Opus there is a setting for the copy buffer size and increasing it from its default 16KB to 2048KB or greater increases the performance to near Windows Explorer levels so I wanted to ask what size buffer is BC using and is it configurable?
    Last edited by sjn; 15-Feb-2010, 05:58 PM.

sjn,

Thanks for reporting the problem.

How many files are you copying when you notice the difference?

What is the total size of the files being copied?

What type of network connection do you have between the two systems (100 Mb, Gigabit, wired, wireless, Internet, etc)?

Are you using the latest version BC 3.1.10?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

How many files are you copying when you notice the difference?

What is the total size of the files being copied?
      As small files will always be fairly slow, I've only been concerned with larger files > 100MB and often much larger as although I use BC for development I also use it to synchronise copies of backup and MSDN ISO's etc.. At that size the number is fairly irrelevant even allowing for write caching so I get consistent results whether copying 1GB in total or 50GB.

What type of network connection do you have between the two systems (100 Mb, Gigabit, wired, wireless, Internet, etc)?
      Gigabit LAN

Are you using the latest version BC 3.1.10?
      Yes

Comment

Reviving an old thread - but is there any chance of a configurable copy buffer size, as the current 1MB (according to Process Monitor) is still slowing down copying in some cases compared to other tools that are using a larger buffer?

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the request. I'll add it to our Customer Wishlist. We currently use the same copy method as Windows Explorer, which also has the same buffer size.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            Hello,

Thanks for the request. I'll add it to our Customer Wishlist. We currently use the same copy method as Windows Explorer, which also has the same buffer size.
            Too bad for speed.
            You should implement a clever way to manage the copy.
            And I would like to see copy speed written somewhere during copy.

Thank you!

Camillo

Comment

Reviving this thread again; I have a related but opposite request/need - I need to be able to throttle the bandwidth used by BC so that it does NOT consume too much bandwidth. I believe that feature is available for FTP transfers, but not network transfers. We have limited bandwidth and need to limit how much impact BC has.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the request. Adding the ability to throttle speed is on our Wishlist. I'll add your specific case to the notes on the subject.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  Adding the ability to throttle speed is on our Wishlist.
                  Any update on this as I would also like the same feature?

I use BC3 to mirror backup files files from a network drive to a local USB3 drive. Unfortunately it saturates the Gigabit Ethernet and slows other other programs running on the server.
                  Throttling the backup imaging as required would enable me to limit system impact and still maintain a reasonably fast transfer rate.

Comment

Hello,

No updates yet. This is still on our wishlist once we have time/resources.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                    X