Import settings with external program conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import settings with external program conversion

Have just tested (on a user's machine) importing the settings I'd exported earlier. We both marked everything for export and import, but one option didn't get carried across on the import and that was the conversion options for a specific filetype. I have External program (ANSI filenames) and an exe specified for loading.

When the user had imported everything, this wasn't set and we had to do it manually. Is this deliberate ??

Hello misi01,

No. The settings should be imported (along with any Helpers located in the Helpers\ directory.) One thing to note is, during an import we do not automatically overwrite file formats that already exist. They are display in red and must be checked manually in the wizard in order to be replaced. You can also double check the Export's xml (rename .bcpkg to .zip) and see if your settings are present in the XML. This would narrow down whether it was the Export or Import that failed.

Also, you can email us your export at [email protected] with a link back to this forum post? Please let us know which file format we should investigate and expect to have an External Conversion. Please include a screenshot of the Conversion tab of this format on your computer, showing the external conversion text.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Have sent the screen capture and the exported settings to the above address

Michael

Comment

Hello,

I have replied to your email with more specific details. In summary, your External Conversion application is not in your Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\Helpers subdirectory, so it would not be included in the Export. If it was in the Helpers directory, then it would be part of the Export (and Import) process. As is, the Export includes the path information to the .exe, but not the .exe itself, so if the other user does not have it in the exact same place already, you will hit an error because the conversion.exe is missing.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Aaron

In that case, I would like to submit a request for change (I know they can take a long time to implement - that's fair enough).

A couple of comments. The exe isn't on the C-drive, since, for a multi-license installation, this would require having multiple copies of the same exe on EVERY C-drive for anyone who needs to use the exe (as well as having any other ancillary files as well). You then have to implement some form of version processing to replace the user's C-drive file(s) with updates. All in all, unnecessarily complicated.

Compare this to the idea of pointing to a network drive (BTW, the exe was in that directory when the user imported the settings, but it's one of those "special" directories that don't really exist on the actual network drive. Sorry, don't know the proper terminology). You have the relevant exe (with ancillary files) in one place. Be that as it may, you need to update ? Replace the network drive files - simple.

I'm just wondering WHY you bother to test for the file's presence att all when importing the settings. My attitude would be to import everything. If an exe isn't there, it doesn't matter until the user tries to use it (and let's face it, when that fails, they're no worse off than the exe pointer not being imported at all).

Comment

Hello,

We don't test to see if the file is there. When you import your settings file (which you email us earlier), your Tools menu -> File Format: specific format -> Conversion tab has the network path in place. If Beyond Compare 3 can find and execute that network path for your install, but not the other user, the issue is probably that user's access to that network path. I've tested it in house with our own network paths, and verified that we can execute an external conversion program from a network share.

What type of network path is this? Can the user access and run the conversion program from the command line or Windows Explorer?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I think it's the type of network drive we're using

Unfortunately, I don't know the correct nomenclature, suffice to say that if I run start, my computer and choose (for me) the H-drive, I see
              H:\My Network Places
              but as soon as I drill down to a folder (Egna_Tips) under this address, I see
              \\xxxxxx\xxxx\xxxxxxx\xxxxxxx\A-M\Egna_Tips
              I got a colleague to test importing my exported settings and he received the same "problem" as the earlier person - the Conversion and Loading settings weren't set.

Michael

Comment

Did you send them the same BC.bcpkg you sent us via email? Your "XXX dat files" correctly imported the \\computer\data\location\Resources\path\etc\ information into BC3's File Format's -> XXX dat file -> Conversion tab.

I imported your emailed settings and I see your full Conversion path to an external location.

Is the issue that the import is not working for you? Or that the conversion is failing to run? Did you check manually (Tools menu -> File Formats, XXX dat files-> Conversion tab) immediately after using the Tools menu -> Import?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Answers

Is the issue that the import is not working for you?
                  The import works, it's just that the conversion/loading values for .dat files aren't being set and have to be set manually

Or that the conversion is failing to run?
                  Once the user sets the conversion/loading values manually, there's no problem.

Did you check manually immediately after using the Tools menu -> Import?
                  Yes - the settings I'd exported weren't visible- This is the second time I've tried getting a user to import the exported settings without the conversion/loading values being set.

I'll append tomorrow from work re. my BC levels/fixes. Could it be you're at a higher level ? The example I sent about drilling down doesn't say anything does it ? (Sorry, I know these "dummy" network drives have a special expression, but I can't remember what it is. I've seen other s/w products that as soon as you tried to dril down below the My network places showed no directories at all)

Michael

Comment

Hello,

This may be easier to troubleshoot with email. I was trying to avoid posting screenshots showing your exact network paths. If you can, please forward the same settings you sent to your co-worker and I can verify those. I can also send a screenshot showing what I see when I import your settings, which appears to be a fully qualified full network path (from \\computer\conversion.exe), in the Conversion settings of your "XXX dat files" file format. Please note that you have several file formats. Your "XXX files" format does not appear to have an external conversion.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

FWIW

BC level is 3.1.10 (build 11626)

Comment

Hello,

I have repeated importing your settings on a fresh portable install of BC3.1.10, but I still see the import seem to work. I sent you an email with a screenshot to make sure we are talking about the same setting.

Also, I recommend updating to the latest version, 3.1.11, if you can. All BC3.x updates are free for 3.x users, and you can download the update from our website or use the Help menu -> Check for Updates.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                        X