Session Manager: Relative Sessions folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Session Manager: Relative Sessions folders

I am using BC to manage multiple branches that I have checked out.

I have close to 100 comparisons I actively use, BC is addictive.

I find myself creating duplicate comparison rules to deal with each branch when only the base paths are different, Example:
    TRUNK
    Compare: TRUNK\A\src\java <--> TRUNK\A\target\java
    DEV
    Compare: DEV\A\src\java <--> DEV\A\target\java
    TEST
    Compare: TEST\A\src\java <--> TEST\A\target\java
    STAGE
    Compare: STAGE\A\src\java <--> STAGE\A\target\java

etc...

It would be nice if these comparisons and paths could be defined once and only the base path change. This would allow me to keep all rules across branches in sync.

Most likely what ever approach that was taken would require the user to abstract their folder comparison to:
    %BASEDIR%\A\src\java <--> %BASEDIR%\A\target\java

Then %BASEDIR% would be associated not with the session itself but with the folder used to organize the comparison in the session Manager.

Just this simple abstraction with no other changes would allow me to copy rules between folders and have them point to the correct place.

Then if you invest additional development time with this approach there are several ways to think about solving this in a larger context:
    1) Use some sort of inheritance between folders defined in the Session Manager. [The Apache Commons Validator used inheritance between XML files which was very practicle and handy.]
    2) Use a template method. This can be viewed as a limited form of inheritance and would serve most needs w/o coding for multiple levels of inheritance.

In either case it would be nice if comparisons could be refactored.
    A comparison with hardcoded paths could be promoted, Pulled up, to serve as a template for use by other siblings folders. Conversely, if we had the ability to, push down, to all child folders that would also be nice. Then copy.... Anyway its easy to get carried away when you are not the one implementing the code.

What do you think ?

Thanks for the suggestions, Rob. I've added them to our Customer Wishlist under our entry for better handling of Adhoc folder comparisons.

For now, the workaround is to use the home screen and place in file paths manually, and then open it as a new session. Or, create a session with no folders set, Lock it (right click it in the Home screen). Then always begin by opening the session and then dragging your folders into their respective panes to load them.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Thanks for the suggestions, Rob. I've added them to our Customer Wishlist under our entry for better handling of Adhoc folder comparisons.

For now, the workaround is to use the home screen and place in file paths manually, and then open it as a new session. Or, create a session with no folders set, Lock it (right click it in the Home screen). Then always begin by opening the session and then dragging your folders into their respective panes to load them.
      Aaron,
      Could you give me a pointer to where this lives ?
      I am assuming its on the forums somewhere.

Is there any chance to expose a bug tracking application on your web site.
      I like to search for similar issues to avoid duplicates.

Comment

Sorry, the wish list/bug list is an internal database. We don't have a public version of it available.

We're happy to discuss wish list items or bugs, but we don't have plans to create a public version of the database in the near future.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

We do not have public access to our bug tracker or customer wishlist. If you have some additional comments or suggestions, please feel free to let us know; if it needs a new thread or email please break the topic into a separate one.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X