few suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few suggestions

Hi, Here's few list of suggestions for BC3, not sure if some of them are already raised -
    1. If a Parent (Folder View) made Read-only (say on Left Side) then an already open child view (Text Compare) should also reflect this change
    2. "Replacement" by Right Click isn't much helpful. It should just offer to replace the portion which is different.
    3. The other child doesn't reflect the Replacements when the Replacements made in first child & applied for parent
    4. Replacement dialog: There should be scope setting (current view/parent view/default) & ability to disable/enable there itself
    5. Ability to copy the partial selection on one line to other side
    6. Replace-All dialog - It should by default suggest the last replacement made if no word is selected. Else if a word is selected it should show the last replacement which was made for that word
    7. If I check "Close Replace dialog automatically" then while replacing why Replace dialog asks for "All" replacement again even though I hit "Replace All" button.
    8. For some hosts ftp is not allowed. Then BC3 asks for the password rather then telling that ftp is not working on that host.
    9. Dragging files over existing view overrides it, it should open them in a new tab.
    10. Doesn't automatically expand if refreshed using Ctrl+F5 in expanded view
    11. Doesn't save all the sessions, why? I see that it saves only few of the recent sessions.
    12. If an existing open Session is renamed in HOME view then it for the open session it says "Session does not exist on disk"
    13. changing file type on one side should also change the other side to same or we should have an option to choose whether we want this kinda behavior
    14. multiple selection & open (with Enter key) doesn't work on saved sessions. It should open them in tabs.
    Last edited by NeOnD; 24-Jun-2010, 04:19 PM.

1. In the current version propagating read-only changes to an open Folder Compare session doesn't happen until you issue an "Edit > Refresh" command. Child sessions have to be closed and opened again to pick up the change.

I'll add propagating the status without requiring a refresh or reopening the comparison to our wish list.

2. I think the right click replacement grabs more than just the difference to keep the replacement from being too general. I think it's easier to select and delete the portion of text you don't want in the replacement than it is type in additional text.
    3. Added to wish list.
    4. Added to wish list.
    5. On our wish list.
    6. If you don't select a word, BC3 does fill in the Search > Replace dialog with the last search and replace words used. It also has a drop down list of recent search and replace terms.
    7. Checking "Close replace dialog automatically" in the tweaks dialog should close the Replace dialog after you click the "Replace All" button.
    8. The reason BC prompts for a password in this case is that it prompts for username and password before connecting to the server. In this case it doesn't know that FTP isn't available until after the password prompt.
    9. This is intended behavior. It's useful if you have a comparison open and you only want to change the left or right file/folder.
    10. If you want to keep folder expansions, use F5 instead. It refreshes things in place. Ctrl+F5 completely restarts the comparison, based on your session settings. If you want folders expanded after Ctrl+F5, check "Expand Subfolders when loading session" in the Handling tab of "Session > Session Settings".
    11. Sessions launched from version control systems aren't saved in the "Auto-saved" sessions list. All other sessions should be listed.
    12. Added to wish list.
    13. Changing file formats independently is intended behavior. This is useful for comparing files of different format types, such as comparing a .doc file to a .pdf file.
    14. To open multiple sessions from the home view, group them all into a folder, then right click on the folder and select "Open Sessions".
    Last edited by Chris; 30-Jun-2010, 05:33 PM.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by NeOnD View Post
      7. If I check "Close Replace dialog automatically" then while replacing why Replace dialog asks for "All" replacement again even though I hit "Replace All" button.
      This tweak restores BC2's search and replace behavior. The additional confirmation dialog (with yes, no, cancel, all buttons) offers fine tuned control over which matches get replaced.

13. changing file type on one side should also change the other side to same or we should have an option to choose whether we want this kinda behavior
      In a Text Compare, there is a "Format" dropdown button to the right of the "Rules" (referee) button on the toolbar. Picking from it will affect both sides at the same time.

Regards,
      Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Chris/Erik for the reply,
        About -
        6. Could you reply for "if a word is selected it should show the last replacement which was made for that particular word" part.
        9. If I drag one file over Left or Right side of the view then I understand your point. But what if we're dragging two files together then it shouldn't override existing view. It should open a new tab.
        11. I'll observe this again. But there are times when I noticed that when I tried to find a session, I didn't find it.
        13. Can we have an option of choosing to change the file type on the other side if one side's file type is changed?

Comment

6. Could you reply for "if a word is selected it should show the last replacement which was made for that particular word" part.
          By "replacement" do you mean the last "replace with" used for that "text to find"?

9. If I drag one file over Left or Right side of the view then I understand your point. But what if we're dragging two files together then it shouldn't override existing view. It should open a new tab.
          To get the behavior you want, just add a new tab first [Ctrl+T] and drop on the new tab.

11. I'll observe this again. But there are times when I noticed that when I tried to find a session, I didn't find it.
          If you can reproduce this, please provide detailed instructions.

13. Can we have an option of choosing to change the file type on the other side if one side's file type is changed?
          As I said previously, use the Format toolbar button to change all sides at the same time. The dropdown's are intended to only affect the side they are on.

Regards,
          Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Yes last "replace with" used for that "text to find".

Comment

A suggestion:

9. Dropping a folder in the folder viewer or a file in a file viewer could open a confirmation dialog first:
              "Open in a new tab/new window/replace current/don't ask again"
              Dropping any object should only replace a current folder/file if dropped into the viewer pane.
              Dropping into another area (i. e. log, toolbars, ...) should open a new tab/window.

Greetings Lutz

Comment

Hello,

I've added this to our Customer Wishlist. In the meantime, the Replace With text dropdown will remember the last several picks, so you can manually select from there if you have used that replace with text recently.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Aaron, However would appreciate if this type of "Search binding" could be included to Wish list.

Comment

Working...
                  X