Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process priority under Vista

Hi,

When ever I start a synchronisation from my internal SATA to eSATA drive, the PC becomes extremely slow until BC ends its work. Using the copy function inside windows explorer for same huge folders is lightning fast and smooth.

This is the same with stable and last beta versions. Sad to see as it really makes the program useless for me

Any way to solve it?

Many thanks

PS: CPU is a Q6600 with 2Gb RAM

It might be that Beyond Compare is doing more work than Windows Explorer. Do you have CRC, binary, or rules-based content comparison turned on in your session settings? If you do, changing the settings back to the default timestamp and size comparison should speed things up.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the answer. When doing compare, there is no problem at all even in binary mode.

The issues come when BC begins copying files from one folder to another (In Synch mode). This slows dows the whole PC and even the display becomes unresponsive until BC finishes or I wait long minutes

Comment

BC3 uses the same copy method as My Computer for the copies, so you should see similar speed and behavior. Which version of Beyond Compare 3 are you running? Is it the latest (3.1.11)?

Can you send in your Support package (from the Help menu -> Support; Export) to our support email at [email protected]

Please also include a link back to this forum post.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I moved house on 31 july. As soon as I install again my PC, I'll look again on this issue. But definately, making a copy with "my computer" on same files doesn't hang the system at all while BC takes all the processes priority

Comment

Hi,

Reverted back to v2.5.2.252 and problem is solved, computer as responsive as it is with windows explorer.

Very disappointing really.

Any explanation/solution or fix please? It really is only when copying files during a mirror action. Computer is responsive only between two files being copied, No response while copying a file (can be very long during big files copy)

HEEEEELP

PS: I'm really now looking for an alternative to synchronise my folders until it is fixed

Comment

Hello,

We would need some more info. BC3 does use the same methods as Windows Explorer and should give similar results.

Which version were you running previously? Did you get a chance to email us your support package? If not, please do and include a link to this forum post.

Also, you may want to try with the latest BC3 beta, available here:
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?c=beta32
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I tried with stable v3 and the last beta, same issue
                BC2 doesn't cause any problem, just works like explorer indeed.

I didn't do the log you asked for. What kind of information does it include? If no personal data is gathered at all, then I'll send it

Comment

Hello,

It will contain some statistics of your computer such as OS, version number, install directory, etc. The package itself is just a zip file renamed with XML data inside. Please feel free to open, review, and edit the BCSysInfo.xml before email it to us. If you do remove any data, please let us know what was removed (generally). The other .xml files are your BC Settings files.

You can generate the same package from BC2 as well. Also, does the latest BC2.5.3 also work for you?
                  http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=dl2_en

When emailed, please include a link back to this forum post.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I reinstalled last v2.5.2, I'll try v2.5.3 and let you know.

I'll email the xml file and feedback here when done.

Many thanks for your support

Comment

Strange in fact,

v2.5.3 makes it as unresponsive as v3.x on explorer and opening apps
                      v2.5.2 is by far more responsive during copy operations of very large files

Comment

Hello,

Are you using the Session menu -> Comparison Control: Advanced tab, Case sensitive filenames option?

The BC 2.5.3 had very few changes when compared to 2.5.2. If this option is not being used, then there should be no difference between 2.5.2 and 2.5.3. This may mean another program is interfering (such as an anti-virus).
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

really sorry for not following well in the thread. I'm in a really busy period of my life.

I had to reinstall my Vista x32 OS, so invested in Win 7 x64 + upgraded RAM from 2 to 6Gb

Installed v3.2.3 and now it works smooth, like never before

Didn't try older builds 3.2.x betas to see

So, my issue is fixed, but don't know if it is OS upgrade or the new build

many thanks for the support despite my sparse follow up

Comment

Working...
                          X