Data comparison - floating point Scientific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data comparison - floating point Scientific

-1.81898940355e-12 appears in one of my columns. I'm using a numeric comparison.

I would like a tolerance, 0.01, and for it to ignore the above value when compared to 0.0 and to '' (empty cell)

Can it be done?

Hello Nickle,

The Data Compare currently supports a numeric tolerance for files detected as Numeric (not Text, Date, etc) but does not have a method for also comparing under a specific value. You can enter in the tolerance in the Session menu -> Session Settings, Columns tab, and select that column.

Are you looking for 0.01 tolerance, or 0.01e-12 tolerance? If you enter in enough 0's, you should see the tolerance value display as a scientific notation.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Example

A.csv
      ====
      Key,Value
      A,2.91038304567e-11
      B,10
      ====
      B.csv
      ====
      Key,Value
      A,
      B,10
      ====

Session settings for Value is not a key, type is numeric, its important, numerical
      tolerance is 0.01

It shows up as a break. There is no way that I can tell that says treat blanks as zeros. It's quite common for people using spreadsheets and some sql reporting to have an option that says display zeros as blanks. In this case the software I'm using dumps these as blanks. Excel will dump them as zeros, but I'm not using Excel.

So I think an option on the column format, if its numeric, to treat blanks as zero is what is needed.

Nick

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Beyond Compare does not currently have the option to treat blank cells as '0'. I will add this to our Customer Wishlist.

Which program are you currently using for your output that generates the blank cells?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X